Friday, February 10, 2006

Another Seminar

I went to today's seminar, and if I have to suffer through that stuff, I'm making the rest of you suffer with me. I knew it was going to be boring from the title of the talk, but this part of the introduction of the speaker cemented that point in my mind:

". . . worked at the salinity laboratory, the world's foremost leading laboratory . . ."

Which prompted my friend to say "The world's foremost boring laboratory."

She also had the following to say about his outfit: part biogeochemist, part urban cowboy (but you probably had to actually see it for that to be funny - he was wearing a bolo tie).

Halfway through the talk I commented that it was so boring that I couldn't even make fun of it to keep myself interested.

Her response: "Au contraire. It is such a solid presentation, you can't find holes."

My favorite part was the end. Not only because it was the end, but also because he said "I went a little fast. Sorry about that. I was excited."

If I only had a nickle for every time those words had been uttered.

3 comments:

slimysculpin said...

Todays department thriller: Systems biology and the Drosophilla blastoderm. I didn't show up.

Lauren said...

David Bowie came to town flying overhead; "Don't you dig my chops?" he cried. This is what they said:

Au contraire, Dave, quite the opposite, in fact. As it happens, au contraire, au contraire, mon frère.

;)

I really had to. I've been thinking in song verse all night.

PsychDoctor said...

How often have you heard those words uttered? Who uttered them? and did they involve sex?