Sunday, May 07, 2006

Maybe I'm just damaged goods, and baby you're a babe in the woods

Given the nature of what I do, and the fact that I have little social life outside of the people I work and/or go to school with, most of the new people I meet are a bit younger than me. It's not a problem as far as just hanging out with people goes. I got over the rule that you can only hang out with people in your same age group in high school. If I only would have been able to hang out with kids in my class, I would have been going to rodeos all the time and hanging out with cowboys who had belt buckles the size of their grandma's turkey platter. Luckily I had other options. However, the age difference is getting to be big enough that it's something to think about when considering a relationship that is more than friends.

My last girlfriend was 7 years younger than me, which wasn't a big deal, but I thought it was at first. It's one of the reasons that I didn't dare ask her out once I started getting a crush on her. In fact, I probably never would have if she hadn't said something about it first. After we broke up there was another girl who was acting quite interested in me, but she was even younger, and while nothing ever developed with that, it forced me to think of where I need to make the cutoff. How young can a girl be and have me still consider getting into a relationship with her? After some deliberation I came up with the following rule: If a girl is closer to my daughter's age than she is to mine, then I couldn't do it without feeling like a creep.

I was talking to my brother about this a week or so ago and told him about my rule. He said, "That's fine for now, but at some point you should be allowed to get rid of that rule. Once your daughter gets old enough."

I said, "You're right. I think the rule should go away as soon as she turns 18. Then I can date her friends."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want to know something funny? I use the same rule for men - if they are closer in age to my mother than they are to me I won't date them! Great minds right?!
S

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this. It makes me feel better about myself and my future prospects. When your daughter turns 18, hook me up with some of her friends. Thanks mang.

Anonymous said...

Funny: a couple years back I had a crush on you but thought the ten year age difference would make you run away screaming (that, and you were my teacher at the time). The crush is still there :)

Native Minnow said...

That's it? All I get is "I had/have a crush on you" with no hint as to who you might be?

To be honest, I'm a little nervous about how many of my former students might know about this blog. Are you at least someone I told about it?

Anonymous said...

Well, if reading the link on your Myspace doesn't count as being told by you... then no. I was going through a friend's page, saw you posted a comment, and my immediate though was "Oh! *blank* knows a Native American (stupid, I know, bear with me here) and didn't tell me?" And I mean, your main picture didn't help ("Oh! Is he a Paiute?"). Then I saw your pictures and wanted to slap myself for having poor reading comprehension. But if it bugs you not knowing who it is, I'll tell you.

Native Minnow said...

Of course it picqued my curiousity, but I guess it's not bugging me that much.

It's up to you if you want to reveal your identity. You know how to contact me.

AnoMALIE said...

It is kind of unfair that a student gets to read an ex-T.A. blog without the T.A. having the same opportunity (although the T.A. had the chance to laugh at the shamefully bad responses to easy quizzes of such student--but I'm sure you didn't do that). So, here ya go.
P.S. You're so self-deprecating! You have lovely eyes... although now I'll keep thinking cowchips whenever I see the same color.

fishie said...

there is a simple rule to follow when you are trying to avoid the creepy-factor. this rule can be applied to virtually all ages without exception. fortunately avoiding the creepy-factor helps from walking straight into a complete wreck. (the nearly-complete wrecks are just do to your personality and i don't have any math that can fix that.)

the "avoid the creepy-guy" rule: the girl's age can be half the guy's age plus seven.

when you were thirty, 22 was fine. now that you've crossed into 32, your lower limit is 23.

considering the fractions of a year for both sexes can be considered, as long as you are sticking to the rule. saying "she'll be in my age group soon" is just asking for trouble.