Saturday, October 28, 2006

Candy Candy Candy I can't let you go

Is it just me, or have things gotten a little out of hand on the candy front? Every time I'm at a drugstore or a gas station it seems as if there's a new candy bar variety. Ok, so it seems to be highly concentrated in the candy that comes to us from Hershey, Pennsylvania, but still.

I believe it began quite some time ago when Hershey's first introduced their cookies 'n creme candy bar (or maybe it was the mint - I can't remember which came first). But things have escalated recently with the introduction of Hershey's caramel, extra dark, strawberries 'n creme, raspberries 'n creme, and almonds 'n toffee. All of which have gained the Native Minnow nod of approval (with the exception of extra dark, I haven't tried that one yet).

They have introduced almost all of these changes to Kit Kat bars as well. You can now get Kit Kat bars in milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate fudge, strawberries 'n creme and orange creme (I'd stay away from the orange creme if I were you - consider yourself warned).

The changes to Reese's seemed to be more stepwise. They started off nicely with the introduction of the Reese's Big Cup, which quickly became one of my favorite candy bars. Around the same time they introduced the white chocolate Reese's, which is ok, but nowhere near as good as the regular old milk chocolate one. After the success of those two, they decided to get all kinds of crazy and introduce the inside out version, where the peanut butter was on the outside and the chocolate was on the inside. That one didn't seem to be as popular, and I haven't seen it for quite some time. Maybe that's because it wasn't very good. Next came Reese's with caramel, which is actually decent, but it's still no Big Cup. But the last one is where they crossed the line. If you ever see a Reese's with marshmallow at the candy counter stay away. I repeat, STAY AWAY! You know it's bad when I won't eat another one, because I will eat just about anything that has sugar in it (black licorice, or anything else with that flavor, being the lone exception).

Someone should tell the good people of Hershey, PA that there actually can be too much of a good thing. I understand their plan of trying to dominate the candy aisle with sheer numbers of choices (take a look next time you're at the store, I guarantee you'll see a good portion of the space filled with Reese's orange), but when you're constantly throwing it in my face I'm going to be more likely to go for something else. Perhaps a nice Milky Way instead?

9 comments:

PsychDoctor said...

Don't forget my new favorite...Take 5 Peanut Butter, and teh Big Cup with Peanuts...

Also, Twix has gone crazy lately with white chocolate twix...

Mars is in on it too...

flieswithoutwings said...

The only reason for marshmellows to exist is for campfires and Rice Crispy Treats. Nothing else. Not even Peeps.

Native Minnow said...

You're being far too strict. I think marshmallows are fine in cereal and in hot cocoa as well.

Inklings said...

Flieswithoutwings, you need to try my caramel popcorn, because it is made with marshamallows and brown sugar. Otherwise I agree with you. Oh, and there is a once a year s'more I don't mind.

Native Minnow, someone gave me a bag of nut-lovers miniature Hershey bars and I immediately fell off the no-sugar wagon.

Inklings said...

Okay,since I doubt any of you are going to be popping over to my house in the next few days for caramel popcorn I decided to write the recipe:
For every bag of microwave popcorn (yes, use the salted and buttered) you melt 1 stick margarine, 1 cup brown sugar and 30 large marshmallows. Pour it over the popped popcorn (but get rid of the unpopped kernels first) and spread on wax paper to dry.

deputymomof6 said...

I am not a fan of chocolate, but I did like the peanut butter lover's Reeses, but they don't have them, anymore. I miss some of the old candy bars, M&M's Royals, Marathon bar (which wasn't a bar, but a braid of chocolate covered carame,) to name two. However, after getting allergy shots next to Ghiradelli Chocolate Co and staring at it while I was getting them, and my mother promising me chocolate as soon as I was done is what I think spoiled it.

And, Native Minnow, we owe you an apology. After reading that you, too, are a fan of the chocolate covered cinnamon bears, I went to the best place to get you a fresh bag. (Hickory Kist) They make their own, and they are fresh. However, they never made it in the mail. Sorry, but if it is any consolation, they WERE GREAT!! I will get you a bag and bring it down for Thanksgiving.

flieswithoutwings said...

I thought the marshmellows used in cereal were only "marshmellows" by name and not composition. Like headcheese.

I thought the cereal marshmellows were mined in some quarry that you can only find by following Tucan Sam.

And I will try the marshmellows on popcorn and see what I think. It sounds close enough to a Rice Krispy Treat to be good.

PsychDoctor said...

You have to follow that damn leprachaun to get the marshmellows for cereal...not Toucan Sam...

deputymomof6 said...

Isn't marshmallows spelled marshmallows and not marshmellows?