Thursday, July 03, 2008

Living on the memory of a dream I once had

I recently read the book Love Is A Mix Tape: Life And Loss, One Song At A Time by Rob Sheffield (it was recommended to me by Steph). It was a fantastic book, and is a must read for anyone for whom music plays a big role in their life. It's a tale of his life experiences as Alternative music pushed into the mainstream in the early '90s, how music brought he and his wife together, and how it helped him get through the worst part of his life. All things to which I can relate to some degree even if the situations weren't exactly the same.

Here are a few quotes from the text that really appealed to me:

I realize it's frowned upon to choose a mate based on something superficial like the music they love. But superficiality has been good to me.

The songs* were all either fast or sad, because all songs should be either fast or sad. Some of the fast ones were sad, too.

Just more of that endless, useless knowledge you absorb when you're in a relationship, with no meaning or relevance outside of that relationship. When the relationship's gone, you're stuck knowing all this garbage.

I suddenly realized how much being a husband was all about fear: Fear of not being able to keep somebody safe, of not being able to protect somebody from all the bad stuff you want to protect them from. Knowing they have more tears in them than you will be able to keep them from crying.

Married people fight over some dumb shit when they think there aren't any widowers eavesdropping. And they never think there are widowers eavesdropping.


Many of you know that I like to put mixes together, usually around some sort of theme, but it's been a while since I made my last one. As soon as I put the book down, I put the finishing touches on a mix that I've been thinking about for almost a year. If you're interested, you can download it for free here. (If you download it, let me know what you think.)

-------------------------UPDATE-------------------------
Apparently there was something wrong with the .zip file, but I think I've fixed that now. If you tried and weren't able to extract the files, you may want to try it again.
-------------------------END UPDATE-------------------------




*Here he was speaking of seeing Pavement play for the first time.

8 comments:

Michele said...

Okay I don't usually leave sappy comments on your entries because like me you're a sarcastic ass at times. I love that about you, btw.

But this, I get.

I'm getting married this weekend. Music was a big factor in the start of our relationship; in fact he had a custom made CD sent to me after our first meeting. Their still songs that we drink wine to, dance in the dark to…… they mean a lot to us still.

Personally I think you're missing the best song of all on that mix.

I like my woman a little on the trashy side. :) by Confederate Railroad

Happy 4th Minnow.

Jenny said...

I'll download and listen this weekend .... and will let you know.

Have a great 4th you "sarcastic ass".

:-)

Anonymous said...

i see the theme, but rural murder's song doesn't have a girl's name. you're giving cowley a free ride. so, how did electoral college git in there?

steph said...

i'm so pleased you read the book -- it really and truly is one of the best stories i've read in so long. so beautiful and touching, and when you are a person for whom music is so intertwined in your life, that book just touches you on so many levels. i love how he started each chapter with a mix tape, and i totally related to just about every song and remembered it from times in my own life.

so, so, so glad you liked it!!!! and that first quote you chose? so true.

Simon said...

It seems like you're a music nut like me. Here's some albums to check out:
"In The Future" by Black Mountain
"The Sound Inside" by Breaks Co-Op
"The Age Of The Understatment" by The Last Shadow Puppets
"Vampire Weekend" by Vampire Weekend.
Happy 4th.

~Kris said...

I'm too lazy to download.
Maybe you could just burn a CD for me?
:)
Happy 4th of July, I'm going to Flaming Gorge...jealous? I think I might even have to go flyfishing. And the difference between you and I? I don't know if I really want to. :)

Native Minnow said...

Jet Pass, congratulations on the nuptuals! I guess it goes without saying that you've had a happy 4th of July weekend. As for the mix, I actually had about 50 "candidate" songs, but that's too many to put on a CD, so I whittled it down to fit the underlying theme and the overall feel of the mix.

Boxer, thanks, and I hope you have a good trip to the island (and of course I was joking about the kennel).

Anonymous, you're almost there, but not quite. The major criterion was that the song had to mention a girl by name. Rural Murder's and Electoral College's songs both do that, even if Rural Murder's song doesn't do it in the title. In fact, both songs name multiple girls in them, but the girl names is only the first part of the theme. The order of the songs is the less obvious part. It's supposed to follow the evolution of a relationship from being young, meeting someone and falling in love, to getting sick of each other, breaking up (hence the fit for "Lindsay let's call this off" and "Add another belt notch to the hundreds for the heartache assassin"), and moving on (see how complicated and smart I think I am?).

Steph, all I can say is thanks for recommending it.

Simon, I've heard some of those, but will have to check the other ones out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Epitome, I am jealous. Very jealous.

Anonymous said...

gottcha. nice job. how many people have heard of electoral college?