Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I used to burn candles at both ends, now I just throw the whole damn thing right in*

My comprehensive exam is coming up in about a month. I've been incredibly stressed out about it, and have been trying to read as much as possible between now and then, in addition to writing a decent grant proposal. I feel like I've made a lot of progress toward being ready, but I also realize that I have a long way to go before I'm there.

That being said, I took Sunday completely off. I realized sometime last week that I haven't taken a full day off since July 4. There's something inherently wrong when one goes five weeks without taking a bit of a break, and feels guilty about only putting in 7 or 8 hours a day on weekends during that time. I didn't do much, just watched a few movies, spent an hour or so at the pool, then had dinner with a friend, but I think it might have worked as far as feeling rejuvenated. I came in yesterday and was able to plow my way through 230 pages of population genetics, and comprehend almost everything. Of course, I did have a headache by the end of the day, but that's to be expected. It's nothing a few Tylenol and a 10 o'clock bedtime couldn't get rid of.

But now break time is over. I suppose I should get back to working my way through some more reading.

*This post has been brought to you by The Wallflowers, 4 Hershey's kisses, 2 Rolos and a Reese's peanut butter cup.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that ending....

Anonymous said...

I think it stems from when I was a child watching Sesame Street...
....brought to you by the letter B

PsychDoctor said...

I think I need to catch your motivation bug...

Lauren said...

Oh, chocolate. I miss you.

This calls for a something of ice cream from the Sidewalk Cafe!

mindy said...

Good luck with the exam. I remember how utterly stressed I was before the one for my MS. I'm glad you got to have a bit of a break, however small.