Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A Penguin I am Not!

While I would certainly go to great lengths to ensure the survival of my offspring (in the same way that a male penguin will carry an egg on its feet to keep it warm enough to hatch rather than have it fail to hatch because the egg has sat on the ice) I'm afraid that is where the similarities end. I have lived in Vegas for 3 years, and I think that I have finally become acclimated. I walked out the door this morning and immediately had to turn around and grab a fleece. The temperature was chilly (~45 degrees), but there was a time in my life when I would have just toughed it out knowing that it would warm up later. In fact, I have lived places where when we had a day in the mid to high 50's we would be heading outside in shorts, t-shirts and sandals. I don't know if I've gained more common sense over the years, or if I've just become a wimp, but I do know that I don't appear to have much of a cold tolerance anymore. I'm sure the penguins would be pointing at me and laughing (in that way in which only a penguin can laugh) if they could see me now.

1 comment:

jiggins said...

I have been in Las Vegas for some years now.. and when I visit Southern California and it is breezy and around 60 degrees.. i have along sleeve on. I get made fun of, and yes I have become a Vegas Local.. therefore my body heat has acclimated :) I can relate to what you are saying.