Sunday, December 25, 2005

Dear Santa,

I seem to have forgotten about how magical Christmas can feel to a kid. Especially to one that still believes in Santa Claus. I spent yesterday with my kids, and it was really cute to see how excited they were that it was Christmas Eve. Especially the two boys since they're the only ones that still believe in Santa (my 9 year old has been told, but he still wants to believe so we didn't press it this year).

We went to the store to pick up one last minute item that their Grandpa wasn't able to find for Grandma. Then I took them back to their house and we watched 'A Christmas Story.' We made cookies for Santa Claus and my 9 year old left this note:

Dear Santa,
I hope you like the cookies. We made them ourselves. You should also check out the statue by the plate. I hope you're not offended.

Then all my kids signed it.

The statue that he referred to was a little 18 inch Santa statue that dances and raps when you press a button in its hand. It really did get annoying after about the 100th time my 3 year old pressed the button to show it to me. It's easy to see how Santa could be offended, but the cutest thing was that he actually cared whether Santa would be offended. I thought about Christmas Eve when I was young and about how we would get so excited that we wouldn't be able to fall asleep. Now I find myself trying to hurry the kids to bed so that I can put the presents out. I still have fun watching my kids open everything up on Christmas morning, but it's definitely not the same feeling. The magic is definitely gone.

1 comment:

PsychDoctor said...

Wow...You really blew that magic for next year, didn't you Mr. "You Don't Really Believe In Santa Claus Do You Because He's Fake."