Monday, March 27, 2006

The quilted thicker picker upper

I was driving home from a movie yesterday (V for Vendetta - go see it, it's good) and was talking to my sister on the phone when a kid rode his bike out in front of me. It wasn't very close so I didn't have to brake, or even swerve, before he got out of the way, but it still startled me.

She started talking about how someone we know hit a kid on a bike a few years ago. It was a similar situation where they were just driving and this kid came zipping across in front of them, except there was no time to react. Luckily the kid didn't die, but he did get hurt pretty bad. The person who hit him ended up getting sued by the kids parents, but the judge threw the case out of court because there was a police officer who had witnessed the entire thing and said that the kid came out of nowhere, so there was no way they could have done anything to stop it from happening.

I didn't remember any of this, until she said the part about the cop seeing it all.

Me: "My memory must be getting really bad. I can't believe that I didn't remember any of that happening."
Her: "It's not that your memory is bad, you're just too self absorbed."

That I am, Sis, that I am.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Bounty!

PsychDoctor said...

I witnessed an accident the other day...I stopped and the guy who caused the accident was trying to get me to leave, telling me they were going to let their insurance companies handle it. I waited until he left and gave the other lady my contact info because he was the one to blame 100% for the accident, and I know in a he/said shesaid thing, she would get screwed... I hope someone stops if I ever get in an accident ...