Friday, April 07, 2006

That's not teen spirit

I went to the store to buy my daughter a birthday present yesterday. In the interest of time (and lack of motivation) I went to one that was close to where I work, rather than waiting until I got home, so it was sort of in the middle of the ghetto. As such, it was a little more run down than what I'm accustomed to, and full of poor people.

Now, call me a snob if you wish, but I generally try to avoid places where there are a lot of poor people. It's not that I have a lot of money, but I do have pride, so I care about my appearance. I actually take the time out of my busy schedule to shower every day. For whatever reason, poor people don't seem to like to do that (not enough money for soap?), and as a result, places where poor people shop tend to have a 'poor people smell' to them. By that, I generally mean the smell of urine, bad breath and/or B.O. That's the reason I try to avoid such places.

As I walked into the store yesterday I got a good whiff of 'poor people smell' and found myself slightly annoyed that the item I was after was going to be clear at the back of the store. That meant I would have to endure the smell for at least that much longer than if my item had been at the front. Is it really too much to ask that a store automatically know what I'm after and rotate so that the item I'm after would always be just inside the door and next to the register by the time I come in from the parking lot? I know that if it did it for everyone that would be utter chaos, so they just need to do it for me. That would certainly suffice.

2 comments:

PsychDoctor said...

To be perfectly honest...I had the same types of thoughts about some of my clients who have poor hygiene. I realized that money does have a lot to do with it. If you can only afford cheap deodorant, then you will smell of BO. If you can't afford to buy gum or mints, your breath will stink by the end of the day. And some people probably can't afford to buy a lot of shampoo/soap. However, I also realize that poor hygiene habits have a lot to do with it too...

ShootingStar said...

I don't want to provoke your infamous anger by disagreing w/ you here... but I think its rediculous that the human body has been deemed stinky at all. I mean come on doesn't it seem pretty unnatural that we make our breath smell like mint, and our bodies stop sweating and smell like some funky-deodorant-musk-smell? It's all a conspiricy by the breathmint and deodorant companies anyway! I'm for basic hygene, but I like it when people smell like people.

Although I have noticed that my friends stand at a distance... hmmmm