Saturday, April 29, 2006

When in . . . France?

A friend of mine is getting ready to graduate, and his parents were in town the other day for his dissertation defense. After he defended, everyone went out to celebrate. At one point his mom handed her empty wine glass to his dad to get it refilled.

She looked at me and said, "It's a French thing, a woman should never pour her own wine. Remember that the next time you're on a date. You'll really impress the girl."

Me: "First of all, I need to worry about actually getting a date, but thanks for the tip."

Her: "Come on. Look around at all the women here in Vegas, and you're saying you can't find one to go out with?"

My friend: "Oh, he's probably looked at all the women in Vegas, but that's about it."

Another friend: "That's the problem with a lot of the women in Vegas. They're good to look at, but forget about striking up a meaningful conversation or anything."

That may be stereotypical, but it was funny. The truth is, I probably could find someone to go out with if I was a bit more active in searching someone out. Maybe someday I actually will be, but that's not really my style. I normally like to get to know someone first, then if it develops into something more that's great. For now I'm just trying to stay content by doing my thing and hanging out with my friends. However, I may have to re-evaluate that strategy once they all graduate and move away.

No comments: