Saturday, May 13, 2006

My mom is better than your mom

I wanted to say something nice about my mom for Mother's Day. But really, how can words describe how grateful I am for the countless sacrifices my mom had to make on my behalf? At any rate, here is a list of some of the awesome things my mom has done for me, it's not exhaustive by any means, but ought to give you a picture for what growing up with her was like.

  • Home cooked meals every single night. Need I say more?
  • Everyone knows that when she says "I'll tell you what I'm going to do" it means there's a treat in store.
  • On rainy days when we couldn't go outside and play she would break out the dyed macaroni and let us do arts and crafts, or would cut eyeholes out of paper plates and let us color on them to make ourselves a mask.
  • Came to the rescue the day when I was crying because I couldn't get my boots on. It turned out to be because a mouse had built its nest in the toe.
  • Spotted me the remaining cash I needed to buy a mountain bike, even though it went against everything she stood for with regards to going into debt.
  • Allowed me to take her car any time I wanted it, even though I'm sure the amount of gas I put in paled in comparison to the amount I burned.
  • She always put fruit in our lunches so we could have something to race down the irrigation ditch on our way to school (ok, so that might not have been her intent, but it was still a lot of fun).
  • Never said one word to me about my earring when I pierced my ear without her permission, even though I was still under age (I would have taken it out too, but too late now).
  • Babysat my daughter for free for the first 8 months of her life. She would have continued to do so if we hadn't moved away to go to school.
  • She set up her own form of summer school for us. She'd teach us things for a half hour or so every morning before letting us leave the house to go play because she didn't want our minds to go stale. Maybe that's why I'm now a perpetual student. On second thought, damn you Mother!
  • She allowed me to live on the night when she baked cookies, put us to bed, went across the street to play volleyball with her friends, then came back with her friends to enjoy some cookies only to come in and find every single one of them on the kitchen floor with a bite or two taken out and me urinating on them while my brothers cheered me on.
  • Every year there was a unique cake for us on our birthday. The one that sticks out in my mind is the year I turned 10. The Gremlins was in theaters, and I was fascinated by the Mogwai (I even believed my friend when he told me that his pet guinea pig was one, how dumb was I?). She made me a cake that looked like Gizmo.

Thanks Mom!

4 comments:

slimysculpin said...

wait... you peed on cookies? that's so very wrong.

PsychDoctor said...

Mom was great...I mean IS great...

deputymomof6 said...

LOL, if you didn't put the peeing on the cookies, I was going to add it. Your mom is great, and I love her, too. See you again soon!!

PsychDoctor said...

Ahem...only one little terror was PEEING on the cookies...the other two were going to bed...