Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Tell me how you get that shine

I know someone who recently had a growth removed and sent off for biopsy. The results came back that it was cancerous, and the doctors cut out the surrounding tissue to see if, or how far, it's spread. As far as I know, those results have not come in.

I was in a room with this person and someone else who had just returned from a week long trip and the following conversation ensued:

"Wow, it looks like you got some sun on your trip."
"Yeah, I did get a little bit of a sunburn, but it's not too bad."
"You're still white though. Not as tan as me."

At which point I thought "Um, hello? Were you not just diagnosed with skin cancer? Isn't that the point at which you stop making fun of other people because they don't have a tan?"

I'm just sayin'.

5 comments:

PsychDoctor said...

Is that like the woman who just got a double masectomy making fun of the flat-chested woman in the room?

Native Minnow said...

I think it's a lot different from that actually. I don't know if there are specific things you can do to prevent breast cancer. It would be more like a lung cancer patient peer pressuring someone to take up smoking.

PsychDoctor said...

YEah...that makes more sense...My analogy was the opposite of what happened. My brain goes to rot after a full day of typing things on my dissertation. :)

ShootingStar said...

I know this doesn't quite relate but... I recently met a woman who had a brain tumor removed and then put it in a jar in her lab. My nearly first conversation with her:
"hey I've heard about your tumor, but I haven't stopped in to see it yet."

I later realized how insensitive that may have sounded, but I thought someone who displays their tumor can probably take a joke about it.

Native Minnow said...

Did she respond with an Austrian accent "IT'S NOT A TUMAH."