Monday, September 11, 2006

Morning comes twice a day or not at all

Over the past few days I've been reading a lot about extinctions, specifically those that occurred in North America at the end of the last ice age. Any time I think about this the woolly mammoth comes to mind. I remember several years ago when researchers discovered a mammoth that had been frozen in ice in Siberia. At the time there was talk about trying to clone a mammoth by transplanting a nucleus from a mammoth cell into an elephant's egg. I'm assuming this never went anywhere, at least not with any success, being as we haven't heard anything about it since then.

I had a friend who talked about how cool it would be if they were able to successfully clone a mammoth ,and about how funny it would be if they just started reproducing like crazy and their numbers got out of control.

In his words:

"It'd be cool at first, but wouldn't it be funny if they eventually just became a nuisance. They'd be getting into your garbage cans during the night and knocking them over. Every time they did it would wake you up and you'd think 'there's those damn mammoths again, why'd they have to bring those stupid things back' before you rolled back over and went back to sleep."

Maybe we should all be glad that the cloning attempts haven't been successful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we could clone everything that was extinct...it would give us one more reason to trash our planet. Who cares? We'll just clone more...

deputymomof6 said...

If that were the case, I am glad they have never cloned anything. On the other hand, how do we makes cats extinct? :)

Delirious said...

Are you so sure they haven't tried? Just because they haven't made it public doesn't mean they aren't experimenting.

Native Minnow said...

Of course they've tried, but if they'd had any success with it we would have heard something by now. That doesn't mean that it will never happen though.

PsychDoctor said...

I'd especially be mad when they started humping my XTerra....

PsychDoctor said...

Uh....I apologize that my wife doesn't know that scientists have cloned animals.... :(

Native Minnow said...

Most people aren't aware of this, but they've actually cloned human embryos, although development was stopped at the very earliest stages of development. The researchers obviously weren't from the U.S. I think they were from South Korea. The important thing is to know that I'm one step closer to gaining my clone army to take over the world. Muahahaha!

deputymomof6 said...

I meant cloned anything from prehistoric days!! Don't underestimate my intelligence, I got you to marry me, didn't I?