Thursday, November 16, 2006

But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns, and thinking of someone for whom he still burns

Here's the story about how my friend had a birthday and made me get a speeding ticket (what a bitch that friend is for doing that, I know).

She sent me an email a few days ago asking me if I wanted to join her at an Irish Pub last night. I have to admit that I wasn't too keen on going (since I've been working my butt off this week - literally, it fell off), but then I found out it was for her birthday celebration so thought I'd stop by for a little while. What could go wrong with that?

Well, I'll tell you what can go wrong with that. Plenty!

First, I drove out there with another friend of mine. We'll call him BJ (even though it has very little to do with his real name and he hates it when I call him that). BJ and I left campus in my car and drove out to meet the birthday girl & Co. When we walked into the place, they came to seat us and we told them we were looking for a group of people. Just then the birthday girl let out a big laugh, and the hostess said, "Can you hear them?" We obviously could so didn't need her to show us to our table. We sat for a while, beverages were consumed, jokes were told, and many laughs were had. It had all the makings of an enjoyable evening. They even had an Irish band playing, and let me tell you, you haven't truly lived until you've heard the up-tempo Irish version of Radiohead's Creep. I would normally hate that Irish band for ruining one of my favorite songs, but I actually know the fiddle player, and she's so nice that I can't hate her (no matter how much she might deserve it).

Unfortunately, I really was tired, plus it was a weeknight, so BJ and I left after being there a little more than an hour. I drove BJ back to campus so that he could get his car. After dropping him off I pulled off of campus and onto one of the major streets around campus. Little did I know that I was accelerating quickly. Quickly enough that Officer D. Devitte was horrified by my speed. Or maybe he was just looking out for the safety of that one other driver that was about a mile ahead of me on the road because you never know what a crazy guy like me is going to do when he's driving out of control. I ramped through my gears so fast that I was doing 48 mph within about two feet of the place that I turned onto the road. You had no idea that my car could go that fast that quickly did you? Neither did I. I always thought that it was powered by about seven hamsters running on a wheel, but there's no way that seven hamsters could crank out that kind of speed. Maybe the last time I took it to Jiffy Lube they upgraded me to seven squirrels or something. Everyone knows that squirrels run faster than hamsters.

Anyway, I also didn't have a current proof of insurance card in the vehicle with me so Officer D. Devitte wrote me a ticket for that and the speeding. In the time that it took him to write that ticket seven Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift type cars zipped by us, but those guys couldn't have been going as fast as I was. I'm also pretty sure that within a five block radius of where we were about 700 drug deals went down, 87 stereos were stolen from cars, 3 children were kidnapped, someone was raped and murdered and a drive by shooting was planned, but check the news to make sure.

So the way I see it, the birthday girl now owes me about $190 after I prove to the court that I do in fact have insurance on my car (that in no way shape or form is capable of accelerating as fast as Officer D. Devitte says it is) because if she didn't have to go and have her stupid little birthday party, then I would have gone home my normal way, at my normal time, and wouldn't have gotten pulled over because they can't pull you over when you're just one of 500 vehicles that are moving that fast on the same street. Sure, you might be saying that it's all my fault because the speed limit there is 30 mph so I should only drive 30 mph, but, I'm here to tell you that nobody can drive 30 mph on that street. Do you hear me? Nobody. I know because I've tried it about a million times, and I can never do it. Ok, maybe not never, but every time I do I get rear-ended because I'm going too slow (ok, so that only happened once, but then again, I've only driven 30 mph on that road once, so it really is every time).

I hate cops. But you know what? I say, "Screw you Officer D. Devitte. I'll drive the way I want." The people who come up with speed limits are all stupid anyway. They should really just be suggestions. That way all the stupid morons that don't know how to drive will kill themselves in fiery auto crashes and clear up the road for the rest of us.

Does anybody know if Ticketbuster people really can get your ticket reduced every time? I may have to look into that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't horrified at all.
I was just pissed off. Pissed off at my high school memories...pissed off because I couldn't get a real job...pissed off at just about everything. I had to look busy so when I saw you I thought I'd give you a ticket for anything that I could find. I didn't want to deal with drug busts, those can get SCARY! I'm just trying to play it safe because I worked HARD for my donut roll around my middle, and nobody...and I mean NOBODY will take that away...

Lauren said...

HAHAHAHA wow! Nice job there, slick.

I was quite surprised that BJ actually was there. He doesn't really know me (and I don't think we've ever hung out), but he seems very very nice.

It wasn't my foot on the brake, so I don't owe you anything. >:D I will agree with you and say that no one drives 30 on that road, however.

That must have been some strong lemonade.

deputymomof6 said...

Do you really hate ALL cops? If you hate us all, I won't help you. If you are nice to me and tell me that I am the one exception to the hating rule, I will look up my radar certification book and find you the evidence you need to win in court.

And, I do not have a donut roll and don't like donuts. Also, remember that we can only pull over one car at a time, tomorrow it will be someone else's turn.

Seriously, I write very few speeding tickets. I did write a guy for going 92MPH in a 55MPH zone, that is dangerous. (not to mention that he was very drunk) I pull people over for speeding just to see if I can smell drugs or alcohol, just FYI for future reference. Then, I give them a warning and let them go....unless they don't have a license, then they get a ticket for that. :) I know it is frustrating to get a ticket, just ask your brother!!

Anonymous said...

BJ and Big D...Hmmmm.....

PsychDoctor said...

Ha ha. That's a good one anonymous!

Sorry you got a ticket...I agree that speed limits can be so arbitrary though. The road that goes by the jail is a 30mph zone, and should be a 45mph zone. I think they should give everyone a 10mph cushion,of course an 18mph cushion--I'm not so sure. :)

Tell my wife you don't hate her, and she will tell you what might have happened to "trick" the radar into thinking you were going faster than you were!

Native Minnow said...

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about the fact that I'm related to a cop. I have a feeling that I'm just going to have to suck it up and take what's coming to me. I was guilty and I've probably gotten away with it too many times. I'll still probably go to court to see if I can get the fine reduced, but they probably don't do that here. I'm sure they've heard every excuse in the book.

deputymomof6 said...

Also, just FYI, I won't even think about pulling a car over for speeding unless......
-they are going more than 15 over (and I am a little more lenient than others)
-they look like a total dirtbag and I think there are drugs in the car (hell yes, I profile!)
-I see small children running around the car and not seatbelted in
-they don't have a driver's license at all

I try to be fair. Also, if they are doing over 20 over (like the people today late for the baby blessing) I give them a ticket, but I warn them for speeding and write the ticket for some other non-moving violation. That way, the fine is less than half and it doesn't go against their license or insurance.

I would like to apologize for all of the asshole cops out there on a power trip. They make the rest of, just trying to help out the public, look like we are all assholes. We aren't ALL on power trips, I promise!!