Saturday, January 06, 2007

You and me and my old friends, hoping it would never end

I just had to say goodbye to two of my close friends. They're the ones who got married in Massachussetts last month. They're moving to Boston, and they leave tomorrow morning.

It should be a good move for them. He's starting a Ph D program at a great school, with an advisor who does some cool work. Plus it puts them closer to both of their families. That still doesn't mean I have to be happy about them leaving.

I've known it's been coming for a while now. I think the decision was made last spring, but it hasn't really hit until now. They threw a going away party for themselves at their house tonight and both of them invited their friends from work. Even though the movers had already packed up their belongings, and the house was basically empty except for the people, it didn't seem real until I hugged them both goodbye and walked out the door. I won't say that I cried, but my eyes weren't the driest they've ever been.

I'm going to miss them a lot. And not just because I found out tonight that she works with an attractive woman that I'm not going to be able to have her set me up with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you got to leer at the attractive woman for a short while.
AP