Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Three legged animals

Yesterday afternoon I had to help grade an exam. Like a fool, I volunteered to grade the long essay question. It took a while to do, and it got seriously depressing after a while. Let's just say that I'm really hoping people have always been this stupid and I just didn't realize it before. That sure beats the alternative (i.e. people are getting dumber) and its implications for the future.

Some of the answers were so bad that no matter how hard I looked to see if I could even give them a mercy point I just couldn't. Some of the answers made me laugh outright (such as the student who made up the word autohomocentriphism because they couldn't remember anthropomorphism). I'm sharing the funniest answers with you, but first you need to know what the question asked. Students were asked to list and describe three (out of six) influences that Charles Darwin had on contemporary thought.
  • Darwin showed that humans are not centric
  • This revolution of evolution . . .
  • 55% of Americans are still skeptical about accepting evolution as a valid possibility solely due to their religiosity
  • We evolutionized from animals
  • This idea has haunted Christians to this day because it is simple and even they can understand it (emphasis added)
  • Atheists believe that evolution was caused by God
  • Darwin didn't understand evolution, so he did his own mating with pigeons

The last one had one of the professors laughing so hard that he had to wipe the tears from his eyes. Darwin was a pigeon fucker? Who knew?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are great! I need to write a song with the lyric, "this revolution of evolution". I love the atheist one and the last one as well: Darwin being accused of pigeon fucking. The creationists would have a field day with that one.

flieswithoutwings said...

I always figured Darwin as more of a turtle guy. Or even beagles.

You can explain Natural Selection using an analogy of students who will be passing the course and those who will not.

Anonymous said...

Wow...you have some bright students in your classes...I worry about that all the time. Are we dumber than previous generations and what are the implications...PI

Native Minnow said...

PI, you should watch the movie Idiocracy - those are the implications.

Is it a good movie? No. Is it mildly entertaining? Yes.

Ryan said...

Just as long as I never recieve the "Darwin Award", I'll be happy. According the Darwin Award home site, people are getting 'dumber'...

be scared

I've never heard of a pigeon fucker, but now I have a new term of endearment for some of my closer co-workers. Thank you for that.

Lauren said...

Uh...Darwin studied finches...

And are you sure these answers weren't written in by the big man Bush Jr. himself? Because those sound like something he would say.

Anonymous said...

these students and my students should get into a science-off (similar to dance off, walk-off, etc). Sure it might result in the destruction of all mankind or a chicken being crowned as our savior, but it'd be worth it, no?