Saturday, February 03, 2007

Tommy the Cat's my name, and I say unto thee

This is the story of how I intentionally scarred the lives of two little girls, but did so unintentionally. You might be thinking that the previous sentence makes absolutely no sense, but you'd be wrong, as you'll see shortly.

When I was 16 years old I was employed at the local meat packing plant. My job was to clean the place up after business hours. It certainly wasn't the best paying job, nor was it the best work environment, but the hours were flexible so it wasn't all bad. I worked there with one of my close friends, and our boss didn't care what time we went in as long as everything was clean by the time he had to start everything up at 5 the next morning. The problem with that was that sometimes it was a little too easy to put off going to work.

The meat packing plant was about a mile from my house, and I usually had to walk there, but occasionally my parents would let me take their car, especially if it was late. It was one such night when 'the incident' happened. I'd put off going to work until about ten o'clock, and my parents let me take the car so that I wouldn't be out any later than I was going to be already.

As I was driving to work a cat crossed the street just in front of me, so I did what any teenage boy who had just obtained a driver's license would do: I swerved to try and hit it. It wasn't until after I swerved that I noticed the two little girls on the sidewalk. Not wanting to force them to witness the bloodshed that was about to occur, I swerved to try and miss the cat as soon as I saw them, but it was too late. I ran over the cat with the back tire.

I didn't stop. I just felt guilty that these kids had witnessed me killing a furry little animal. I felt even worse when I was driving home from work and the cat was no longer lying on the side of the road. Apparently it wasn't just any cat. It was their cat. I hope they thought it was just an accident because it was dark, but I doubt that's the case.

I would say that it was the last time I intentionally killed something, but that would be a lie.

8 comments:

Native Minnow said...

I don't really know what telling you about working at the meat packing plant had to do with this story, so it could have been half as long, but sometimes I feel that you need to know these things.

Michelle said...

I thought I might be reading a story about you jumping out from behind a dumpster and scaring the girls....a cat, you killed a cat. Drats you.

All is forgiven since you were young and reckless like the rest of us.

Native Minnow said...

It could have been worse. I could have been like my dad and his brothers when they were young. My grandma went to hang some clothes in my dad's closet and was shocked to find that he had nailed some cat hides to the back wall. He was trying to tan the hides to make leather (or something). Considering the stock I come from, the neighborhood cats were lucky that I didn't run over more of them.

Michelle said...

going to go cry now...says the owner of 4 - !!FOUR!! cats....

just kidding

Anonymous said...

you are a horrible, horrible person. you should post this on dailyconfessions.com ha ah ha haa ha

Anonymous said...

I was driving with epitome of sweetness's husband today and we almost hit a jackrabbit...I am proud to say I swerved away to miss it, unlike the days of Rabbit Alley, when I would fly down the dirt road in my Galaxie 500 and just listen to them thump left and right... PI

Anonymous said...

I thought I knew you :( Stay away from me!!!!
AP

Christi said...

That's so sad! I still think about the meat packing plant though. I don't think the smell of it will ever leave my memory!