Monday, March 26, 2007

Dead cat in a top hat, wow

This may come as a surprise to you, but I'm not much of a pet lover. Maybe it's because we were never allowed to have pets in the house when I was growing up, or maybe it's because I'm a horrible, horrible person. I'm guessing it's a little of both. Or maybe I get it from my dad.

I have a sister who loves pets. Ok, I have more than one sister, and more than one of them loves pets, but this particular sister really takes it to the next level (ironically, it's not even the sister who has 30 goats). She's the one who convinced my parents to spend $300* on a Pomeranian even after they swore that they'd never get another dog. She also recently convinced them to let her take in a Siamese cat. It was supposed to stay in the garage, but somehow that didn't stick and now it's always in the house. This particular sister has also moved out recently. Her pets have been left behind, even though I don't think either of my parents or my sister who still lives at home even like them. I know my dad doesn't.

Last time I was at their house, the cat was playing around with some stuff in the living room. My dad told me that he was trying to get it to play with plastic bags from the grocery store.

Him: My plan is to train it to jump into a bag. When she's used to being able to jump in and out, I'll wait for her to jump in, then I'll tie it off and sit and watch until it stops moving around. This is going to be fun**.





* If you knew my parents, that price tag would amaze you.

** He wouldn't really do it, but it is funny.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really think she loves animals? Cuz I don't...she pretends to love my dog, but I only see her "loving" it when there's people around. When it's just me she walks by and cusses at it...but whatever.
But if there are guys around, totally different story.

Anonymous said...

I think it's because we weren't allowed to have pets in the house. I always thought I loved animals, too. Then I had animals that live in my home w/ me...and now I decided that I just like them occasionally.

Anonymous said...

You would be surprised how much cats like to just sit on or jump into things that are not normally left on the floor....grocery bags, shoe boxes, storage bins, etc.

Ryan said...

I hate cats. When your dad figures out how to train the cat to jump into a plastic bag, let me know. I can't even train this stupid cat to stay off the counter.

Maybe it's me?

Inklings said...

Sadie was $200, and she is the family's dog. Also, your dad won't admit this, but he gets a kick out of the cat. However, I think these are the last pets.

Anonymous said...

Ryan, use a squirt gun and spray away. After a few times, if you just act like you are reaching for it, they will jump down. Then, they eventually just stay off.....but it's fun to reach for it anyway and watch them scatter.

Anonymous said...

My money is on "horrible person."
AP

deputymomof6 said...

I thought that it sounded like a great idea. I hate cats. :) Except for the ones that hate people and stay away from me, those ones I do kinda like.