Saturday, March 10, 2007

Open up my eager eyes

Let me tell you some of what's been going on behind the scenes here in The Shallows. A few weeks ago I happened to notice a comment that someone had recently left on a post in the archives. It was from a former student who revealed that she had a crush on me when I was her TA a few years ago (and still does).

You might think that's great. However, she chose to remain anonymous, and despite my best detective work using the clues I have, I've been unable to crack the case. (I may need to get some pointers on detective work from The Slackmistress and Mr. Boy).

The other night my roommate walked in while I was trying (unsuccessfully) to follow the clues. When I explained to him what I was doing he just laughed and wished me luck.

His son overheard us talking and chimed in:

Roommate's Son: Wait, a girl likes you?
Roomate: That's what he just said.
Roomate's Son: Wow, she must be desperate*.
Roommate: Even better!

A few minutes later:

Roommate: By the way, did [son] tell you he got hit on today?
Me (to the son): You did?
Roommate's Son: BY A GUY!!!
Me: AH HAHAHAHAHAHA
Roommate's Son: Well, actually, I'm not sure if he was really hitting on me. Does it count when someone tells you that you're cute?
Me: Oh, that definitely counts.

The question is, if you knew that someone had a crush on you, would you want to find out who that person is? I'm always torn. There's the part that really wants to know, but there's also a part that's afraid of the awkwardness that could result if the feeling isn't mutual. The second part is what prevents me from divulging when I have crushes on girls (which is almost always).**






*I probably would have said the same thing to him.

**More on this later

9 comments:

Ryan said...

It's always best to know, either way. The tricky part is finding out who it is, but not having that person know that you know who she is...

You know what I'm talk'n about.

Anonymous said...

Unrequited love is the worst...well, next to having to "unrequite" someone else's love for you... :) PI

steph said...

i prefer not to know, and not to tell, either. the crush and the excitement of the crush, at least for me, has always turned out to be way better than the outcomes, which are generally really bad hook-ups. however, if someone left me and anonymous, "I had a crush on you" comment, i would most definitely do my very best to hunt that person down. curiousity always wins out over the reality!

PsychDoctor said...

Maybe it was your "hungarian, cause we're hung" friend....

deputymomof6 said...

I think it isn't so much the feeling being mutual as it is the eventual letdown after finding out that it isn't who you had hoped it would be. However, I would still want to know.... curiousity would get the best of me. Good luck with that, and let me know if I can help. :)

Anonymous said...

While the idea of a secret crush is titilating, I like flesh and blood a lot better than my thoughts. Real people are flawed and that makes them interesting...I never would have imagined how adorable Adam's crooked chin is because I wouldn't think to make my unknown secret crush have a crooked chin. I think if you have a crush on somebody and you can't tell them, or even try to get to know them better, you have some serious issues with insecurity and should get therapy....or drink a lot of taquilla and pick up the phone!!! :-D

AnoMALIE said...

Well... until the moment she sends you pictures where she's posing in her best pleather and red bra outfit , I wouldn't call her desperate desperate (that woman left a lasting impression on me).

Native Minnow said...

I wouldn't call her desperate either. He was just making fun of me, not taking a jab at her (we tend to break balls whenever possible). As far as that goes, I wouldn't call the pleather/red bra woman desperate either. Trashy? Yeah, but not desperate. She could probably have as many tweakers as she wants.

I just meant that I'd have probably said something similar if he had someone interested in him. I tease him all the time about his 'boyfriend' that lives across the street. He used to get really pissed about it until he realized that only encouraged me to keep it up.

Anonymous said...

I have decided that it's always best not to know...
I've always been extremely:
A: Disappointed
B: Frightened
C: Creeped Out
D: Wanting to find a time machine and go back to where I was BEFORE I found it.

That is all.