Sunday, August 05, 2007

Extreme ways are back again

I saw The Bourne Ultimatum yesterday. If you're wondering whether or not it lives up to the previous two installments, the answer is yes. If you're not wondering that, then don't read that last sentence.

As could be expected, the movie was sold out and the theater was packed. I arrived about 45 minutes early and it still took a while to get a decent seat. There were only two empty seats in the portion of the theater where I like to sit, and I took one of them, leaving the one next to me empty. It didn't stay empty for too long. About five minutes before the movie started, a married couple came in, and the wife ended up taking the seat next to me.

Now, I prefer not to sit next to people when I go to movies, but that's just because I hate people in general and don't want to be near them. It's also because if I'm not sitting by anyone then I don't have to hear someone's running commentary of the movie. For example, yesterday the woman to my right stated to noone in particular, "I really don't like that S.O.B." I wanted to lean over to her and say, "Oh really? You don't like the bad guy of the film? Do you think that might have anything to do with the directing? You're not supposed to like the bad guy! That's why he's the bad guy! Getting you to hate him is the whole point of the script. That way you don't get upset if/when he gets killed at the end." I didn't though.

Having said all that, I realize that it's inevitable that I'm going to have deal with sitting right next to people when I go see a highly anticipated film on opening weekend. The part that annoyed me about the couple that came in after I did was that I was asked if I wouldn't mind moving to an empty seat near the front of the theater so that they could sit together. Well, it turned out that I would mind. You see, it turns out that somehow I managed to make it to the theater early enough to pick the seat that I was in. I picked that seat because I don't like to sit too close to the screen, which is precisely why I make it a point to get to the theater early, so that I don't have to. Next time, plan ahead.

Ok, rant over. Now I just have to ask one question. If there was a cage match between Jason Bourne, James Bond and Jack Bower, who would win? My money's on Jason Bourne.

11 comments:

Native Minnow said...

Furthermore, has anyone else noticed the Hollywood conspiracy regarding these three heroes? Why do all their initials have to be J. B.? I know it's a conspiracy because it's all tied to the number 23.

Here's my reasoning:

J is the 10th letter of the alphabet. B is the 2nd.
There are three of guys who are so badass that they can prevail under any circumstances (Bourne, Bond and Bower).

(10 x 2) + 3 = 23

steph said...

i'd vote for bourne, also, although the newest bond is pretty freaking bad...could be a toss-up.

Native Minnow said...

Stephanie, you've got a point. To be honest, I was thinking of the Pearce Brosnan Bond, not the Daniel Craig Bond. I'm not sure why. Anyway, I'd still take Bourne, but only by a slim margin.

steph said...

it's funny how the different bonds are so....different. i love the daniel craig bond and the sean connery bond, but the other bonds, while good, are just not the same. the daniel craig bond is my favorite by far.

Anonymous said...

I have to vote for Jack (if only b/c I've sat through 5 seasons of 24 and only one Bourne movie...although I really liked said Bourne movie and need to see #2 so as to see #3.).

I say Jack because he's not afraid to torture, maim and otherwise go psychotic on you. I don't know if Bourne has shown the same capabilities. But after seeing Jack cut off people's arms, torture them without regret, and shoot people in the head point blank...yeah, he's pretty bad ass.

PsychDoctor said...

But the question was who would win in a cage fight...Jack wouldn't have his handcuffs, guns, truth serum, etc. in a cage fight...Bourne would be the victor...

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way - I hate people and especially sitting next to them - I've had people ask me to move too - it never ceases to amaze me the nerve that some people have!

silentkid said...

Bob Lee Swagger would win.

Native Minnow said...

I don't know, I haven't seen Bob Lee Swagger in action. But, he's not listed in the choices anyway because his initials aren't J. B. But Jack Black's are. Maybe I should have included him in the cage match. Even if he couldn't beat them up, he could probably rock the other three's socks off.

Anonymous said...

Bauer, not Bower. Get it wrong and he hunts you down and goes JB on you.

Anonymous said...

What if we threw Chuck Norris into the mix?
AP