Tuesday, October 30, 2007

No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts

There's a deli near campus where the food is good, and there are complimentary mini muffins to go along with your meal, and complimentary ice cream for dessert. Free food is always a good thing for poor graduate students, so my friends and I eat there frequently. We have a system where the first person through the line is responsible for picking a table and getting a small plate full of mini muffins. Of course, since we are regulars, most of the employees recognize us, and there are a few that usually engage us in idle chit-chat when we're placing an order or paying at the register.

One lady in particular likes to talk to me. My friend swears that she's flirting with me, but I don't like to hear that. It's not that she's ugly, it's just that, well, ok, she's ugly. When my friend jokes about she and I getting it on, I usually try to deny that she flirts with me. However, he says that she never acts like she even recognizes him, let alone talks to him, even though the two of us are together pretty much every time we go there.

Yesterday I got the impression that he might be right.

Her: Hey you, I haven't seen you in a LONG time!
Me: We've been coming in, but haven't seen you around at all.
Her: I've been working different shifts lately.
Me: I guess that would explain it then, wouldn't it?

(Now seems like a pertinent time to point out that I was wearing a They Might Be Giants t-shirt)

Her (looking at my shirt): So, what's your favorite song of theirs?
Me (thinking funny you should ask that since I just blogged about it the other day, but not saying that): I'm going to have to go with Ana Ng.
Her: Mine is Particle Man. I just love the . . .

(She goes on to mumble something but I wasn't paying attention because all I could think about was my friend standing behind me in line laughing his head off)

Her: Well, can I get anything else for you, Troublemaker?
Me: Just the potato.

I went and sat down in a booth while my friend paid. He sat down and said, "Do I need to go get some muffins, or did you already take care of that, Troublemaker."

Me: All I know is that if she keeps that shit up, we're going to have to start eating elsewhere.

6 comments:

AnoMALIE said...

Does her uniform consist of pleather and a red bra?

Jenny said...

Native Minnow, is Cafeteria Lady making you uncomfortable in your eating environment?

Because, you have rights, man.

(ahahahahah)

silentkid said...

I don't know why, but the line "just the potato" had me cracking up. JUST THE POTATO. I see T-shirts and bumper stickers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Troublemaker...she doesn’t sound that bad. I don't think a few painful exchanges with a woman whose shift doesn't generally coincide with your lunch break, is worth giving up on free food.

JG

PsychDoctor said...

Anomalie posted exactly what I was going to post... :) I bet she owns a CSI hat too... :)

Anonymous said...

Pretty classy ensemble. They Might Be Giants T-shirt.
You might want to rethink your wardrobe if you're looking for chicks.