Sunday, October 21, 2007

That accident left everyone a little shook up

Friday night I was driving home at about 3 a.m. after a night out with a couple of friends. The beltway onramp that I use to go home has a long slow curve, and as I rounded that I saw a giant cloud of dust, and red tail lights where no red tail lights ought to be. The car just in front of me had run off the road and was lying on its side.

I stopped, and as I was getting out of my car, a girl climbed out the sun roof and yelled for me to call 911. I did, and told them where the accident was. While I was on the phone, a second girl climbed out the sunroof and told me not to call, that everything was fine. I handed the phone to her so that she could talk to the dispatcher (they asked me if anyone was hurt, but I didn't know because I didn't know how many people were in the vehicle). She hung up, and handed the phone back to me, and I asked her if she was alright. When she said that she was fine it became apparent why she didn't want anyone to come out. She was drunk. They both were. Luckily they were both wearing seatbelts, or else it probably would have been a whole lot worse, but as it was, it was just the car that was totalled.

By this time another guy had stopped to see if everyone was fine. I told him that I'd already called the police, and he asked the girls if they needed anything. One girl needed a bandage for her elbow, but neither of us had one of those.

Him: I can't help you with that, but I have some Red Bull in the truck. Does either of you want one of those?
Driver: I'll take one.

So, there you have it. Red Bull fixes everything.

One of the girls called her friend to come out, and I talked to her friend to tell her where we were. The friend asked if she should come out, and I told her there was no way they were going to be able to drive the car home, so maybe she ought to. Of course, I'm sure the driver spent the night in jail, but the passenger would have needed a lift.

I hung around long enough for the paramedics to arrive. The ambulance parked in a way that completely blocked off traffic, so I asked if I should move my car so that people could get by.

Paramedic: Yeah, you should. Were you involved?
Me: No, I just came around the bend right after it happened.
Paramedic: Did you see it?
Me: No.
Paramedic: Well, there's really no reason for you to stay, so why don't you go ahead and go home.
Me: You sure?
Paramedic: Yeah. Thanks Bro.

So there you have it. I was able to do a bit of a good deed. I don't know what ended up happening, but I'm really glad that no-one was seriously hurt. I'm also glad that I wasn't a few seconds earlier, otherwise she may have hit me. Driving in Vegas can be scary. Especially at 3 a.m. on a weekend. Maybe I should make it a point to get home earlier.

5 comments:

elbee said...

Wow, crazy. Was this on the 215 after the Durango exit? That's the only place I can think of that has a "slow curve."

Jenny said...

and this is your public safety announcement for:

WEARING SEAT BELTS.

Native Minnow said...

LB, it was the 215 coming out of the airport tunnel heading toward my house.

AB, true - I always wear mine. I even got made fun of the other day because I did just to ride across the parking lot.

AnoMALIE said...

Oh man, I hate that curve! I always hold my breath when I drive by there (which luckily isn't often).
Hats off to you for taking it on at 3 in the morning. Daaaang!

elbee said...

Oh, okay. I was thinking of that too, but that's not exactly a "slow curve" (unless you were thinking that you need to slow down to get through it). Love that curve, I can do 40 on it and still be okay.