Monday, August 25, 2008

The ghost of you lingers

My graduating class recently had the 15 year reunion. I didn't go because the brilliant minds who organized it held it on a Wednesday night. (Seriously, who holds something like that on a weekday?) In the weeks leading up to the reunion, one of my old friends from high school took the lead at setting up a web site for our class. I grew up in a small town, so there are only around 70 people to list, so it's not unmanageable.

The guy who set up the site is a prime example of why I hate politicians though. I'm not sure exactly what he does, but he lives in Washington D.C. and works for one of the senators or congressmen for the state of Utah. I can't remember which. I just remember being annoyed at our 10 year reunion when he asked if I was a "good biologist or a bad biologist." When I asked what he meant by that he responded, "Well, do you think the endangered species act is a good thing?" Knowing that he was conservative, I just said, "I guess that makes me a bad biologist in your eyes because I do think it's a good thing."

One of our former classmates died about a year after we graduated, or maybe it was that summer. I didn't know him all that well, I just remember hearing that he had drowned and thinking that it was sad that he was so young. Someone else from my class alerted Politics Guy to the fact that this guy had passed, so Politics Guy put this on the site he set up for the class:

His death was reported by another classmate. If you have details on his passing, please e-mail [Politics Guy] ASAP -- especially if he's still alive. But then knowing [The Deceased] (if he's alive), he might find it humorous to read about his own death. Thanks!


That last part really annoyed me. Yeah, [Politics Guy], you obviously knew [The Deceased] quite well. You know, since he's been dead nearly FIFTEEN YEARS and you didn't even know.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Fucking politicians.
Even worse, fucking Utah. I hate it.
Not everyone there, just Mormons.

Unknown said...

Also, class of 93? (Google can do some wonderful things.)

Anonymous said...

I invented Biology.

AnoMALIE said...

sadly... a lot of kids I went to school with had that sense of "humor."
What a douche.

Native Minnow said...

Ryan, you should know that all Mormons aren't as bad as your ex-girlfriend. I was raised Mormon, and it's sad to see such bitterness even though I'm no longer practicing.

Al Gore, you invented a lot of things. We should all thank you. And help in your quest against ManBearPig.

Anomalie, that's what I thought too.

Jenny said...

There is NOTHING funny about the death of someone so young - I'd keep that little ditty so when he tries to run for some office.... you can NAIL him.

But I'm bitter/cynical and I hate (most) people.

Anonymous said...

ryan, do you hate jews, too? how about buddhists? i mean, look at those violent fuckers in sri lanka. what about christians? witch-hunting, anti-science dumbshits.

Bullet for Babs said...

Yeah, my class tried to do a 5 year reunion a few weeks ago. I think about 8 people showed up. The person who organized it didn't even show up. I know why some people like reunions but I kind of feel like, well, you were a bastard when we were in high school, so why do I want to talk to you now?

Unknown said...

"ryan, do you hate jews, too? how about buddhists? i mean, look at those violent fuckers in sri lanka. what about christians? witch-hunting, anti-science dumbshits."

Sure, I hate them too.

Karen said...

You can tell the dirt wad works with politicians. No class whatsoever. Tosser! I hope no-one turned up to his reunion.

Anonymous said...

to steal another friend's fave insult, "what a cocknocker"

Anonymous said...

Text me the name of who it was...Ryan H>

mindy said...

Wow, that's in really poor taste. :o(