Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I want to be an old hermit

There are certain people in my life that need to go away and never be heard from again. I didn't want to name any names and hurt any feelings, but I'm talking about you Jared from Subway. We get it, you were a fat slob, then decided to eat like a normal person and lose some weight, and it worked. Good for you. Now go away.

My question is this, at what point do people start to realize that they are indeed fat and ought to do something about it? I am lucky in that respect. I don't know if I've been blessed with a high metabolism or what, but I've never had to worry about weight gain. In fact, I never watched my diet at all until I found out my cholesterol was high about a year and a half ago. Most of the people that know me think I'm too skinny. That may be the case, but it may also be that we live in a country with an obesity problem, and what people think of as normal is in fact overweight. After all, that is what we're used to seeing.

My point is this: It shouldn't take a person reaching 400 or so pounds (like Jared from Subway) to realize that something needs to change. I can tell when I've put on a little weight, and when I have, I usually try to exercise a little more so that I can take it back off. I might be considered to be too skinny, but I still have a thin layer of fat preventing my six pack from peeking through, and I need to work that off. But I don't need you, Jared, to tell me that. I'm working on it myself.

1 comment:

PsychDoctor said...

I realized I was too fat when, after my hernia surgery last March, I was unable to exercise and lost the ability to suck in my stomach. Now it just pokes out all the time and I can't even hide it with big shirts. 220 is about 30 lbs too much for my 6' 1" frame. When I eat too much it is a little hard to breathe...and when I drop something in my car, it squishes my stomach to try to pick it up. :) I plan on doing something about this when I have more time to exercise...like when my dissertation is done and I have a 9-5 job.