Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Intolerance

I am originally from Utah, and while I love the state, I don't think that I'll be able to move back. By the time I was getting ready to move I was beginning to tire of the culture. Every now and again something will come up to remind me of this. Most recently, the controversy surrounding Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller and the movie 'Brokeback Mountain.'

For those of you who haven't heard the story (if there are any) allow me to summarize. Larry Miller owns many businesses in the Salt Lake Valley, one of which happens to me a movie theater (or a megaplex). One of his screens was going to be showing Brokeback Mountain, but he made the decision to pull the movie at the last minute. He didn't state a reason, but you can click on this link for more information regarding the situation.

Utah is a very conservative state (in case you're from another planet and didn't already know that), and it doesn't surprise me that something like this would happen there. I'm sure there are many in the state who are applauding Miller's decision, maybe seeing him as some sort of hero in taking a stand against immorality or something like that. I personally think he's a hypocrite. If he's going to take a stand with this movie, shouldn't he take that same stand against any other movie that has immoral subject matter? Since drug use, murder, even coarse language are all things that are against his religion (on top of sex out of wedlock, gay or not), shouldn't movies with any of that content receive the same treatment from him? If he is just discriminating against the movie because it's got gay cowboys, then isn't that an act of bigotry? If so, should the public just let it slide? (click here for more on that)

I should point out that I intend to see this movie, but in my own cowardice won't go until I find a girl who will see it with me. I have had enough enough experiences in my life where people have thought I was gay and tried to pick up on me (check my archives for the story about The Hungarian). I don't want to go to this movie alone lest someone see that as an opportunity to do just that. The difference between me and most of the people from my home state is that I'm not afraid of gay people. I've never been the kind of person to push my beliefs on others, but am still willing to accept those who may not share them with me. I find it somewhat ironic that a state where most of the people belong to a religion that is based on people's agency, or ability to choose for themselves, can be so intolerant of people who 'choose' something that they don't believe in themselves. It's that part of the culture that has ruined the state for me, beautiful as it may be.

1 comment:

Native Minnow said...

Apologies to 'Flies Without Wings' for this entry. In my defense, I wanted to say something about it before you posted yours. So there.