Saturday, January 14, 2006

A New Tradition?

I grew up in rural Utah, and as I mentioned before, feel very fortunate that I didn't end up being a redneck. However, there are certain things about redneck culture that I couldn't (or didn't) really avoid.
One of those things is that I enjoy shooting guns. I don't own any, but my dad does, and sometimes we'll go out shooting when I'm there visiting.

The past two years I've started something that may become a new tradition in my family. That is that we go to the store the day after Christmas, buy ornaments that are on sale, and go out into the desert to shoot them. It sounds like a very redneck thing to do. It is, but I think it's fun.

It brings to mind the lyrics of a Ben Folds Five song:

"if you're afraid they might discover your redneck past
there are a hundred ways to cover your redneck past
it's good to be back home"

Most of my friends now (that is those who didn't know me when I was growing up) are surprised by the fact that this is something I'd do. I guess that means I've done a relatively good job of hiding my redneck past. But as you can see from these pictures, I'm giving my kids a bit of a redneck past that they will have to cover up as well.


2 comments:

Native Minnow said...

I should point out that it was my daughter's first time ever shooting a gun and she hit an ornament on her first shot. It was my 9 year old's second time, and he hit his first 5. The 3 year old was just lucky to get the trigger pulled, but he'll get it down eventually. Pretty impressive overall.

PsychDoctor said...

the Twins went shooting for young womens, and B was holding a big shotgun and getting ready to shoot Clay pigeons. I laughed at her because she could barely support the gun and said something like, "You'll never be able to hit anything. You can't even hold the gun." She hit the first two pigeons off thelauncher. Pretty impressive