Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Rural Murder

Music is mostly about lyrics for me. Sure a song has to sound good, maybe have a bit of a catchy tune in order for me to like it, but nothing beats good lyrics. Having said that, I'd like to make a shameless plug for a friend's band. I think his songwriting skills are amazing, I just hope that sometime his music makes it into the right hands so he can get signed by a record label (for his sake, not just because he said he'd let me come on stage if he ever made it big).

Here are some lyrics of his that I absolutely love (of course I can't do them justice here without putting them into the context of the song, but oh well). Some of these I haven't listened to in a while, so there may be one or two words that aren't quite right, I hope he'll forgive me.

"stole a magazine from a store on second, wrote a note on the back of an ad for cigarettes, ripped the page out and mailed it to you, it said meet me where you think I thought you'd be"

"laying on my back starin' up at heaven, hoping that Jesus might save a place for me, but I'm not asking"

"I walked a tightrope with frayed ends, I tied the knot that broke my fall"

"we long for better places, we all want pretty faces, well I could use a pair of aces, but these eights will have to do"

No comments: