Thursday, February 09, 2006

After Dark

The other night I was getting ready to leave work and offered to give my friend a ride to her car. I usually offer to walk my female friends out if we're leaving after dark, just as a safety precaution.

Her: "I don't think I'll ever be staying at the office until 2 a.m. I don't like to leave here after dark."
Me: "I don't blame you, there are a lot of weirdos here."
Her: "I know. And it's not like I'm [girl we know] where a rapist would just pass me up either."

And I thought only guys could be that cold.

6 comments:

Michael Nannini said...

Oh, Mr. Minnow....girls know exactly what to say and when to say it. We are calculating. I'll tell you what I told our oldest, "Don't listen to boys, they do and say things without even thinking about anyone but themselves(present company excluded, of course). It's the girls who know exactly how the words they choose will devestate or lift you up."

Yin

Native Minnow said...

Don't get me wrong - she was referring to a girl that neither one of us is particularly fond of. I laughed my head off when she said it, then immediately called my friend to tell him too.

But it was totally a guy thing to say.

Native Minnow said...

By the way, my friend might be female, but she's totally one of the guys.

Anonymous said...

RAPE IS ABOUT POWER AND VIOLENCE...NOT LOOKS!!!!
ULTRA-FEMINIST

Native Minnow said...

I realize that is what rape is about. And I find it disgusting that people would behave in that manner. But at the same time, I am a firm believer that you cannot take yourself so seriously all the time, and that you must be able to laugh about things. And that's coming from someone who used to be married to a rape victim, so it's not that I don't understand its effects. Just thought I'd clarify.

deputymomof6 said...

I think that is funny...sounds like something I would say, so perks to her....I admire her candor.