Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Open mouth, insert foot

I have a tendency to say things at the wrong time, or at least when I'm in the presence of the wrong people. For instance, I once made fun of a friend of mine for participating in a handicap awareness program just so that he could get a free t-shirt. There's nothing wrong with making people more aware of what the handicapped are faced with every day, but there was definitely something wrong with his motivation for participating. Of course, as I was making fun of him for it I said something along the lines of "so it was kind of like the time you participated in that stupid handicap awareness thing," then turned around to see a girl in a wheelchair glaring at me. Oops! I couldn't take the time to explain that I was trying to make fun of my friend, I just sat there and felt like a complete ass.

This weekend I put my foot in my mouth not once, but twice! The first was when I was sitting at a table with some friends. A friend of theirs (who I didn't know) came and joined us. They all began talking about this girl, and my friend leaned over and told me I knew her.

Me: "Oh yeah, someone told me to stay away from her because she has a boyfriend but she always cheats on him."
My friend's friend: "Yeah, that's me. There's a reason we don't live together."

The next night I was with the same friend, but a different group of people overall. I was describing where a girl we know lived and said "she lives over in those slummy apartments."

The girl I was talking to looked at another member of the group and said "oh, she lives right over by you then."

Just when I thought it was safe for me to start opening up my mouth.

No comments: