Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Procrastination and Poor Planning

I was driving down the street yesterday and saw about ten different places where people had their mini vans pulled off to the side of the road and were selling flowers or teddy bears out of them for Valentine's Day. I might not be the most thoughtful guy in the world, but I've never put off buying a present for someone until I was on my way home from work the day I'm supposed to give it to them. I think if I was that bad I'd probably just suck it up and take the brunt of what was coming to me for forgetting. I would like to be smooth enough to pull that kind of thing off though.

I think the closest I ever came to smoothly making up for poor planning was the day I proposed to my ex-wife. We lived in the middle of nowhere, and I had to go to a city about 4 hours away to take care of a few things, so I took her along with me. We hiked to a waterfall that was on the way, and that's where I proposed (it wasn't nearly as romantic as it might sound, but then again, few things are). Then we went on in to the city to take care of things. As we were gassing up for the return trip, she went in to get some snacks and a drink. As soon as she went into the gas station a guy walked up to me and asked if I wanted to buy a dozen roses off him for $5. I did, and gave them to her when she came back out to the car. She was surprised that I had been able to hide them all day, since she had been with me the entire time and knew that I hadn't had a chance to buy them anywhere along the way (and we had no florist, so I couldn't have picked them up beforehand). I told her the truth, that I had bought them from some guy on the street, but she didn't believe me.

The subject came up a few years later when we were visiting some friends, and she said she'd never been able to figure out when I'd bought the flowers. When I still stuck to my original story, she finally believed me. I think she must have been disappointed with that.

Hey, at least she thought I was considerate for a few years.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, sometimes the most romantic things aren't planned. How do you know that wasn't fate that he happened along your car?

Native Minnow said...

Because we ended up getting a divorce :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think the roses had anything to do with a divorce. By the way, so I don't freak you out, too.....I'm Kristen ;)

PsychDoctor said...

Hey creepy anonymous poster...figure out your screenname and password. :)

Get this for romantic. I went to work today and one of the secretaries, a Puerto Rican woman, asked me if I had a good Valentine's day and what I got. I lied initially and said, "I didn't get anything." She said, "Oh, I at least did better than you...my husband bought me a bag of M&Ms yesterday." :)

(I did tell her after that that I had gotten my valentine a few days earlier and ate the chocolate on Sunday).

ShootingStar said...

So I bought my husband's V-day present ON the 14th. I didn't feel bad about it unilt your blog--thanks

ShootingStar said...

sorry that is UNTIL your blog. but since I'm here... I actually don't like the Valentine's holiday for gift giving anyway. We generally avoid it. I think if you EXPECT a gift and then only get something lame like M&M's--you probably deserve it.

PsychDoctor said...

I was actually considering waiting until the 16th to buy Valentine's Gifts because everything is 75% off.

ShootingStar said...

I know that may at first seem lame (waiting until the 16th) but really it is just a date right? No cosmic forces line up just because it is the 14th. I talked to a woman who told me that she and her family celebrate Christmas every year 4 or 5 days afterword. This way they can go buy everything in the after Christmas Sales.