Saturday, March 04, 2006

The taxman cometh

I normally prepare my own taxes, and after my experience at H & R Block this week, I remember why. I don't know if there's a bigger rip off than paying someone to use the same computer program you can find online to prepare your taxes.

A couple of weeks ago I prepared my taxes, but had a few things this year that I wasn't quite sure how to deal with. This is the first year that I'm filing since our divorce was finalized, and I had a few questions about claiming my daughter since she doesn't live with me. It's in our divorce decree that I claim her, so I knew I could do it, but I didn't know if that would allow me to qualify for the earned income credit as well. The second thing was that I received a lump sum permanent partial disability payment for my back injury. I knew that it was not taxable, but figured that the IRS would need to be made aware of it in some way, I just couldn't find anywhere to enter it on the worksheet. So I called an H & R Block office and asked them about these things. They told me that I didn't qualify for the earned income credit, but that I would have to report settlement so I should come in for an appointment. I scheduled one for 2:45 the next day.

I gathered up my forms, and as soon as I finished teaching my lab, headed over there for my appointment. I got there about 5 minutes early, and the waiting area seemed pretty full to me. There was only one woman working, and I figured that these people were walk-ins who were just waiting for an opening. It turns out that most of them were, not that it stopped the H & R Block employee from taking them first.

Eventually another woman came in and started helping people. There was some bickering between the two employees about how it could have gotten so backed up, why the first one hadn't called anyone for help, etc. I heard them taking shots at each other by saying things like "I'm sorry about that - she should have called me and then you wouldn't have had to wait so long" and "she's not very good about coming in anyway" to the clients they were working with. I don't think they heard each other, but it certainly was not very professional. Then to top it all off, their computers quit working for a little while.

I didn't get my turn until 4:30. That's right. I sat in that stupid waiting area for almost two hours even though I had an appointment. As if that wasn't bad enough, I found out that I didn't have to report my settlement check, and the return they filled out was identical to the one I had already prepared on my own. It just cost an extra $100 to have them do it for me.

The lesson? I'm not as dumb as I think I am, and I should start realizing that.

6 comments:

flieswithoutwings said...

And the only thing worse than doing your taxes is sitting around WAITING to do your taxes.

Lauren said...

Damnit, you've just reminded me to do my own.

Native Minnow said...

The part I forgot to mention in this was that I had to skip lunch to make my appointment on time, and then didn't have time to eat before I had to teach again that night. Luckily, my friend had a frozen dinner in her office that she microwaved and brought to me. I sat there and ate it while my students took their midterm. Very professional.

Lauren said...

Don't you know that it's bad to eat in the lab?! ;) I smell OSHA coming around the corner! Hahahaha.

deputymomof6 said...

I pay them the $100 in case they screw something up, they are liable and I don't face any criminal charges. Also, there are sometimes deductions that I don't know about, like I can deduct a $9 perdiem (is that spelled right, it looks wrong) per meal I eat while working. But, if it is uncomplicated, I think that those tax software programs pretty much go through everything. I don't want to brag, but we got back over $7,000 this year. Too bad it is already spent on moving back to Utah!! :)

Native Minnow said...

It's two words: per diem (per day)

Latin lesson is now concluded :-)

By the way, I did find out that if you're a student, you can keep track of your mileage to and from the University and include that with tuition, fees and books as part of your costs for the education credits. That may come in handy for some of you out there.