Wednesday, June 21, 2006

This is where the party ends

It's an old story by now, but I keep hearing about this autistic kid. He was one of the managers of his high school basketball team, and the coach put him into the final game of the season once his team was up by 20. Not only did he get a chance to finally play, but he scored something like 21 points in 4 minutes.

The media stories have all been warm and fuzzy. They talk about how life changing that experience was for the kid, for other kids around the country with different disabilities, for parents of autistic children, etc. All I could think about was how life changing it would have been to be the guy on the opposing team who got lit up by a retarded kid. He'd never be able to live that down.

1 comment:

PsychDoctor said...

I disagree...you keep your best players in, and if you have players that stink, they sit the bench...(unless it is a youth league or something non-competitive). That is why I played very little church ball as a youngster...I stunk so bad that I was only put in games for short stints, even scoring a point for the other team in one game. :)