Saturday, July 08, 2006

I wish I was a sentimental ornament you hung on the Christmas tree

I went and saw Pearl Jam two nights ago at the MGM Grand. I wasn't planning on going initially because I wasn't sure I'd be able to afford tickets, but then at the last minute a friend of mine ended up not being able to make the trip into town for it, so two of us bought his tickets and went. I felt better about what I paid when we got to our seats (which were rather good) and the guy next to me said that he'd paid over four times as much for his.

During the show something happened that hasn't happened to me in a while. I got chills. The first time was when they played Line in the Sand, but it happened during a few other songs as well, usually when they'd launch into a song from Ten. It must have been a result of the excitement in the air, but during one of those moments it hit me - I'm getting old. Obviously the songs they were playing mean a lot to me. They'd have to in order to invoke such a response, but I also realized there's a whole generation of people who don't give a damn about Pearl Jam.

It all got me thinking about whether music still has the same overall effect on people growing up today. There are certain albums that played a huge role in my life. Pearl Jam's Ten is one of them. Then there are certain bands that have stayed with me through the years, and album after album has had something good to offer. During this concert I realized that Pearl Jam is one of those bands. Song after song would bring back memories of a different time:
  • The move to Flaming Gorge. It was a decision that I hated my parents for at the time, but turned out to be one of the defining events of my life.
  • Playing Tecmo Super Bowl on the Nintendo with some of my best friends in the world.
  • My honeymoon in Seattle.
  • Spending our first winter together living in a small trailer on a hill overlooking the marina we were caretakers of for a few months.
  • Starting college, and the friends I made while I was there, some of whom I haven't thought about in years.
  • The first time my marriage almost went to shit. We dragged it out for another 5 years or so, which I consider to be a good thing considering it bought me more time with my kids.
  • The move to Vegas and a new beginning for me.
I don't know that there are really any new bands that will have that effect on people. At least not as many people. I can't think of any bands that are as big now as Pearl Jam was then. I guess the Killers might come close with their first album, but they have yet to back it up with anything new. I know the bubble gum bands have been huge, but that doesn't really count considering that the kids that grew up listening to them will hear those songs in the future and actually be embarrassed that they even listened to that crap, let alone loved it.

I don't know how much longer Pearl Jam will continue putting out albums, or even if they should, but I do know that I should in some way give thanks to them for putting out music that has spoken to me through the years. It's been a hell of a ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the killers is a small band compared with pj!

Native Minnow said...

I agree. But they do just seem to be getting started. That's not to say that they'll ever reach the same level (I'm guessing they won't), but they're the closest thing I could think of right now.