Monday, August 28, 2006

And I'm losing all those stupid games that I swore I'd never play

This weekend was not the most productive weekend I've ever had, that much is certain. I started it off with the best intentions, but got sidetracked along the way. Right around lunch time on Saturday I decided to buy a new television set for my bedroom. It wasn't a spur of the moment decision per se, but let's just say I didn't do a whole lot of price comparisons before making my purchase.

Allow me to give you a little background as to why I deemed this to be so important at this point in time. When I first moved into the house in which I now live, my roommate only had a small 13" TV/VCR combo in the living room. Since my TV was a lot bigger we decided to hook it up downstairs (call me crazy, but I actually like to be able to see the picture from across the room). I was fine with it, especially since he told me to take his smaller TV into my room because we were using mine downstairs. This worked out perfectly because it gave my kids an out of the way place to play X-Box when they came to visit, plus I could watch DVDs in my room if I wanted some privacy.

Now, therein lies the problem. It was a good set-up until his son moved in with us and I made the mistake of telling him that he could play my X-Box if he wanted to. It started off being ok, but then it evolved into him playing my games all the time, and once he passed those he started renting and even buying games of his own. It got to the point where I could hardly even go into my own bedroom without having to tell a 15 year old boy to leave so I could change my clothes or read. I'm normally pretty easy to get along with, but I think that was a bit too much.

Last week my roommate's son bought an X-Box 360, and hooked it up in my bedroom. That was kind of the last straw, so I told him to take the TV and hook it up in his room because I was going to buy a new one. He still didn't do it because "He didn't want to take the TV out of my room in case I wanted to watch some of my DVDs." Hence, I bought a TV so that could no longer be an excuse (later I found out the real reason he didn't want to move it was because he didn't want to have to rearrange his bedroom to fit a TV in there).

Needless to say, shopping for (and the hooking up of) my new TV took more of my day than I had anticipated, so I didn't get as much reading done as I would have liked. But at least I got my room back, and that's definitely worth it.

Yesterday I actually did get a lot done. I finished up a new draft of my research proposal, and I'm starting to be happy with it, but I had to go home before 6 o'clock so I could catch the season finales of Deadwood and Entourage (two of my favorite shows right now). Once those were over I went up to my room to try and get some reading done. Here's what transpired:
















Maybe I should have held off on buying the TV until after my comps.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe his XBox 360 will break like mine did, because those are cheaply made pieces of crap. Nice new TV and congrats on reclaiming your territory. The Deadwood season finale was good, but now I have to wait until next Spring to get some resolution, damnit.

~Kris said...

But the important question has been left unanswered. Did you conquer the game?

PsychDoctor said...

What? No flat screen? :)

Oh, and does "plus I could watch DVDs in my room if I wanted some privacy" actually mean "so I can watch adult movies in my room?" :)

Native Minnow said...

No, I didn't beat the game yet. But I did pass the level that I'd been stuck on for a while (and by a while I mean that I couldn't pass it so I quit playing for a year).

No, I don't watch adult movies in my room. Although, now that you mention it, maybe it's not so bad of an idea ;-)