Sunday, August 20, 2006

Come on, come on, listen to the money talk

I was talking to my brother on the phone yesterday (he made it home alive after all) and was taking a look at my bank account information online at the same time. I noticed that they've been charging me a $10 service fee on my savings account for the past three months.

Me: I guess I need to check this a little more regularly. Do you think I can take care of this at any branch, or does it have to be my own?
Him: You could do it at any branch, in fact, you could probably just call a banker and take care of it.
Me: I think I will. I'll tell them that I'd rather take my money and put it in a coffee can than pay them $10 a month to hold it for me.

I called them. I found out it was because it was a money market account and my balance had dropped below a certain level. I downgraded to a regular savings account instead. Call me crazy, but the $0.51 a month interest wasn't worth paying a $10 a month fee in order to keep getting it.

No comments: