Thursday, August 10, 2006

Too hot to handle, hotter than a candle

I've made it clear that I am not Wal-Mart's biggest fan, but I've never been so tempted to shop there as I was the other day. I don't know if it's a nationwide thing, or if it's just local, but many of the Wal-Mart stores here have had people picketing outside for the past few months. I don't know what organization these people are with, but the signs they hold up say "Wal-Mart: Not up to area standards."

One would think that with the onset of summer that these people would feel less inclined to carry a sign back and forth all day, but they're still there. I saw 4 or 5 people picketing the other day when it was 115 degrees outside. Even from my car I could tell that they were sweating profusely. The heat here is just brutal sometimes.

I thought it would be hilarious if I had pulled over, went to Wal-Mart and bought a case of bottled water, then driven out to the picketers and said "Wow, you guys look thirsty. Here have a drink," and then handed them the water in a Wal-Mart bag. Part of me still wants to know if they would have refused it.

2 comments:

PsychDoctor said...

I went to walmart today, because I shop there all the time...anyway..I saw an extremely obese woman with an oxygen tank and cane slowly making her way to the motorized shopping cart...Lindsay Weaver's blog on that being so cliche kept running through my mind. :)

Anonymous said...

when i go to walmart i fart in the aisles...