Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I triple dog dare you

The other day I was talking to some of my friends about tattoos. I know a lot of people who have been getting them, or are at least seriously thinking about it. I've thought about it, but I really can't think of anything that I'd want permanently placed on my body. Maybe a fish of some sort, but I don't know what species I'd want, what size I'd want it to be, or where on my body I'd put it. Plus there's the fact that I would undoubtedly find something that I didn't necessarily like about the art, and it would bother me for the rest of my life. Yeah, I don't really think I'm a tattoo type of guy.

A few of the guys in my lab are from Texas, and one of them has a hitch cover on his vehicle that is an outline of the state of Texas (or The Republic as he likes to call it) that has been painted to look like the Texas flag. That's the thing about Texans, they're very proud of where they come from, and they aren't shy about letting the world know. Just like the saying goes, "You can always tell a Texan, you just can't tell him much." During our conversation I told him that I thought he should get the symbol from his hitch cover tattooed on his shoulder.

Him: "Ok. As long as you get a tattoo of the state of Utah, or maybe like a beehive or something, but you have to go first."

This is what I came up with:


















I'll give $5 to anyone who gets this tattooed on their shoulder. I'll up it to $10 if you've never lived in Utah, $20 if you don't live in Utah and you aren't mormon, and $50 if you do live in Utah and aren't mormon, but I'm going to need to see the evidence before I shell out the cash.

6 comments:

Michael Nannini said...

You could AT LEAST cover the cost of the tattoo if they aren't mormon ya cheapskate.

Anonymous said...

I don't see the point of tattoos...it's like drawing on yourself with a Sharpie, only more permanent. My body is a temple, or it used to be, or maybe it's just a regular chapel now or a pagoda or a house...it's like when little kids draw on the walls with crayons and it's really hard to scrub off. It's like skid marks.

flieswithoutwings said...

I feel more and more original everyday for being one of the few americans who doesn't waste his money on tattoos.

And what's up with girls getting giant tattoos across their chests? I'm sure they'll regret it in the golden years.

Native Minnow said...

Fine Yang, if anyone gets this done and they're not mormon I'll pay for the cost of the tattoo as well.

Rural Murder, I think your body is more like a cardboard box that a hobo is sleeping in. But your tat is pretty cool.

Flieswithoutwings, I saw an elderly woman standing on the street corner today, and she had a sweet, wrinkled tattoo of something on her arm, but I couldn't tell what it was. Those things don't really stand the test of time now do they? I haven't seen any across the chest, but then again, I haven't seen a whole lot of women's chests lately.

Michael Nannini said...

Hey...I take offense to those comments since I have 5 tattoos myself! They are all works of art and just like a stained glass window in some of the finest cathedrals, they distinguish me as being unique and beautiful!!! Not a waste of money at all. They do not need to stand the test of time in anybody else's eyes, b/c they each hold a special meaning which could never be worn out from anything in nature. I will be proud of my kanji tattoo ON MY CHEST when I am a hundred b/c it is special to me! I think people who DON'T like tattoos are big whimps who lack creativity...pffffttttt!:p

Yin

Anonymous said...

Yin...I think you're just pissed off because you didn't think of what your tat was going to look like when you were old. :) J/K
I think if you have a special purpose for one, or if something really means something to you, then a tattoo would be great. But, I'm sad to say most are just pictures.