Monday, November 27, 2006

He's the one they call Dr. Feelgood

Thanksgiving was good. I left town for about five days and basically did nothing but hang out with my family and eat my mom's good cooking. I feel like a huge slacker for not doing anything work related (other than a meeting with my outside committee member for a few hours), but I suppose that's what holidays are all about.

I know that it's a time when you're supposed to consider everything you're thankful for, and there's a lot I am thankful for, but I had an experience that reminded me about how much I hate doctors.

I was out in the yard raking leaves, and in an attempt to get my kids away from the playstation, told my ten year old son to come outside and help. As luck would have it, just as we were about to call it quits, a huge gust of wind came up and blew something into his eye. We went inside and flushed it out with water for about 15 minutes, and gave him some eyedrops to flush everything out. I looked in his eye, and couldn't see anything, but he kept saying that hurt really bad so I took him to the emergency room.

Of course, it wouldn't be a true trip to the ER without having to wait for a really long time once you were in a room, even when there's nobody else around. I thought about Flieswithoutwings' old rule about taking one rubber glove for every five minutes the doctor makes you wait, but decided that I didn't really want to transport that many gloves back to Las Vegas with me at the end of the weekend.

Eventually, the doctor came in took a look at my son's eye and declared, "Oh yeah, he scratched it pretty good alright."

I replied, "Oh really, because that's not the eye that's bothering him."

He then looked at the other eye and declared that it too was scratched up. Thanks Dr. Why don't you tell me something that I don't already know?

It just annoys me that I'll have to end up paying this guy hundreds of dollars when it's something that probably could have been taken care of with a bottle of Visine and a twenty minute nap for my son. I guess I should just be happy that nothing happened to my son's vision, but who wants to be happy when there's something to gripe about?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so I guess you could be thankful that you don't have to go to the doctor more often, but where is the fun in that?

PsychDoctor said...

Hilarious...Like the time I was experiencing vertigo and mom told me it was probably an inner ear infection. I went to the doctor, described my symptoms and what mom said. He said, that sounded right and wrote me about 4 prescriptions. As I was walking in the parking lot, he came running out and said, "I guess I had better look in your ear to verify that." :) I think he was embarrassed because he had a resident tagging him around... :)

PsychDoctor said...

Oh, and it always burns me when I think I might have strep throat, go to the doctor, pay my copay, and find out it is only a virus. :(