Monday, November 06, 2006

I need a hero

It's election time again! I wish I could really be excited about it, but I can't (it's not like we can get rid of our retarded president this time). In fact, with election day coming up I've been constantly reminded of how much I dislike politicians. The focus always seems to be on what the opponent did or didn't do rather than what a good job the candidate in the ad will do if elected. I get tired of mud-slinging rather quickly, and there are actually some offices that I may not vote for either candidate simply because that's all they've been doing. That'll learn 'em.

Mud-slinging has gotten to be too popular in advertising as well. I find it interesting when a company will advertise about how bad another company's product is rather than come up with something creative to illustrate how good their own is. It always leaves me with the feeling that they must not have anything good to say about their own product when they do that.

Last night I saw a Subway commercial that talked about how much fat was in McDonald's food and I was slightly puzzled. For one thing, I don't even consider these two restaurants to be direct competitors. I guess they're both vying for our lunch dollars, but it really depends on what someone is in the mood for. If someone's not in the mood for a sandwich they aren't going to eat at Subway regardless of whether or not they get a crappy hamburger at McDonald's. Secondly, I thought I told Jared from Subway to go away. Obviously he didn't listen.

3 comments:

PsychDoctor said...

THe one exception to this is the new Mac vs PC commercials...I like how they emphasize the strengths of the Macs and dis on the PCs... I think they are creative and humorous...

flieswithoutwings said...

I just got a recorded telephone call from Senator Orin Hatch asking me to vote for him and his republican friends. I thought that was illegal.

I only eat at Subway and McDonalds if I am on the verge of starvation and nothing else is available. And I mean NOTHING.

My favorite commercials are for "Stanley Steamer." They emphasize that "...all of our employees are drug tested and background checked..." so are you going to hire them or are you going to invite some random child-molesting ex-cons into your home to clean your floors? The commercial implies that those are your only options.

Anonymous said...

I love the Stanley commercials, too! I have always hoped that they don't have to eat their words someday.