Friday, January 12, 2007

And you'll begin to wonder why you came

It's time for another installment of 'The Best of Native Minnow's Teaching Evaluations!' As always, these are actual comments from my students (and as always, some of these won't be funny unless you're a biologist).

Comments about the Lab:

What is the major weakness of the lab?
  • The amount of memorization is retarded . . .
  • The dead frog in the fish tank!! (it wasn't really dead, it just rarely moves)
  • Best Bio lab so far. (how is this a weakness?)

What was your least favorite lab exercise? Why?

  • Anything that dealt w/plants. I don't care about plants.
  • Plant/boring
  • Any plant exercise - plants suck
  • [Computer] labs because I would click reset when I wasn't supposed to so I'd have to start over. (I'm not sure how that's the fault of the lab)
  • Anything with stupid plants. Too complex for doing nothing. (Do you mean besides providing the rest of us with oxygen?)
  • Gymnospears. Too much info to remember. (including the fact that they're called gymnosperms)

Which lab experience was most informative and educational for you?

  • Plant morophogeny (I think it's supposed to say morphology, but hey, nothing like making up a new word when you don't know the answer).

What was your favorite exercise? Why?

  • [The field trip] - it was exceedingly boring but at least we got out of the lab room.
  • Dissecting the pig, I liked learning the vascular system of mammals. (Do you mean circulatory system?).
  • The pig, because I never saw a pig beyond the porkchops.

Comments about the lab instructor:

In general, how would you rate your lab instructor as a teacher?

  • Clear, presents ideas, well. He rules. (I just liked the punctuation on this one)

What were his/her strong points?

  • Knows his shit

How could he/she improve?

  • EASE UP ON THE QUIZZES!!!
  • You cannot improve upon perfection!
  • He's already perfect
  • Keep it real
  • Dress up for Halloween this time
  • Give out candy?
  • Be more boring, no one likes a show off [Native Minnow]!
  • Buy long sleeve shirts because it's freezing outside.
  • Become a Buddhist monk in Tibet for a year

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Look at them, they get more and more creative as the years progress. We just used to say what an asshole you were.

As for the short sleeves and stuff, apparently you're a winter snob because you used to live in Utah. Same goes for any other state where it's super cold (I tease Chris about this because he's from NY).

Let them destroy that creativity by getting A's and staying in the major, lol.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...I hate plants...I wish they would all just die...then we wouldn't have to worry about global warming anymore... Al Gore (the man who should have been president)

Anonymous said...

you asked your students for feedback? Why would you want commentary from the peanut gallery???

Native Minnow said...

It's not my choice, it's a requirement of the university. I guess it makes students feel like they have a voice. All the professors have to do it too.

The serious evaluations I actually do pay attention to, but most of them just say to tell them what's going to be on the quiz and stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

I like how they comment on your clothing. :)