Sunday, February 11, 2007

Is it all just wasted time

I am continuing my quest to do absolutely nothing this weekend, but I've run into a few set backs. Perhaps the biggest one of these is that there is something screwed up with our cable. All of the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Max, etc.) are playing in Spanish. That would be ok with me as long as I actually spoke Spanish, but I don't, so you can see my problem. That still didn't stop me from watching the Return of the Jedi though. There's something comical about watching a movie like that dubbed into a different language, but I must say, you know you're bored when you're watching a movie in a language you don't even speak.



The Return of the Jedi was released when I was eight years old. My mom let me and my brother see it on opening night. At the time I thought that it was the best movie that ever was, or ever would be created. We were a few minutes late, and we missed the beginning of the movie, so we felt justified in staying into the next showing to see what we'd missed. We probably would have stayed for the whole thing again, except our mom said she'd pick us up as soon as the first one was over. I wonder if she minded that she had to sit outside for an extra 20 minutes or so for us to get the entire story.



It's funny how things like bad acting and terrible dialogue don't matter when you're a kid. The only thing that mattered was how cool the light sabers were (I've always wanted one of my own), how cute those furry little Ewoks were, and that the good guys won. Oh, and the speeder bikes. I still want my own speeder bike. I figured by now we'd have those. Come on technology. What's the big hold up?



One more thing, I remembered how good Princess Leia looked in that metal bikini. I thought so when I was eight, and I still think so. I remember being on the playground discussing it with two of my friends. They told me that even though it wasn't included in the movie, there was a part where Jabba the Hutt made Princess Leia change into that right in front of him so he got to see her naked. Oh how I hated that Jabba the Hutt. Jealous? You betcha.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is that actress? Is it Jamie Lee Curtis?

flieswithoutwings said...

It's Carrie Fisher, you nerf herder.

She said in an interview that the metal bikini would never stay on right and her goods were constantly hanging out. She said Boba Fett had the best view of EVERYTHING.

You da man, Boba Fett.

Native Minnow said...

I always thought Boba Fett was the coolest Star Wars character, and now I know he was.

Delirious said...

Star Wars revolutionized movie making. Before then, we never saw such amazing special effects. Even though I've been a little desensitized by all of the incredible special effects today, the Star Wars trilogy still have me in awe.

My biggest problem with the movie was that I could never believe that Luke and Leia were twins. She looks 5 years older than him.

deputymomof6 said...

I remember watching the first one in the theater 28 times. Yeah, we had nothing better to do and our mom worked at the mall.... so we used to go to work with her. We were so lame. Nerdy, geeky dorks.

PsychDoctor said...

Too bad Carrie Fisher turned into a woman with a horrible smoker raspy voice in her old age...and she had that horrible scratchy laugh...oh well, she was hot in her younger years...

ShootingStar said...

You know I thought it was "light saver" until I was 12 (umm or maybe even 15). I also saw this movie over 25 times. Hey its been a while since I've been on your blog. Nice new layout!

Anonymous said...

How come you don't live nearer your kids?

Native Minnow said...

Anonymous, the short answer to your question is that sometimes life doesn't work out the way we think it ought to. Don't worry, I'm still very involved in their lives.

Anonymous said...

sss

Anonymous said...

I second anonomysis (sp??) subtext!! Which is: you should live near your children.

Narussy

Native Minnow said...

I agree that it would good if I lived closer to my kids, but like I said, that isn't the way it's worked out so far. Moving away from them was the hardest thing I've ever done, and I'm sure that it was even harder on them. But, it's also what was necessary. I can't expect a stranger to understand all the reasons for it, but it could have been worse (my other options besides Vegas were Nebraska, Oregon and New York). It's just what I have to do to be able to provide for them. The distance definitely sucks, but I think I'm more involved than a lot of fathers who actually live with their children. Everyone in my family thinks I've done the right thing, as does my ex-wife, so you'll just have to trust that we know our situation and find a way to make it work.