Monday, February 12, 2007

Take a look at where you are it's pretty scary

I decided I'd spent enough time sitting around the house watching movies in Spanish, so yesterday I went to Arizona Hot Springs along the Colorado River with a group of people from work.


It's about a three mile hike through a canyon to the River. I hesitate to call it a slot canyon as it's not quite narrow enough, but it's pretty close, and you do have to worry about flash flooding. Well, at least you would if it ever rained in this part of the country. It didn't take us long to get there, but it's good that I went with some people who had already been there. It turns out that these hot springs have a particularly nasty little parasite that kills almost everyone it infects. The good thing is that you can only contract this parasite through your sinuses, so as long as you don't submerge your mouth and/or nose in the hot spring you'll be safe. I probably wouldn't have done that anyway, but it's still good to know.



I know what you're thinking. Surely there must be signs to warn people about this fact. Oh, there's a sign, I just don't know how much warning it gives.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it might be time for an upgrade.

Anyway, I didn't put my face in the water, and I haven't noticed my brain swelling up yet, so I should be ok.

I can't wait to go back, but next time, I'm totally swimming in the Colorado River first.

5 comments:

flieswithoutwings said...

It sounds nice to get away, even if it's to hang out with brain-eating amoebas.

Anonymous said...

If you REALLY live in a desert, how come you don't have a tan? PI

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun, and I think that PI is just jealous.... Have a good one!!
Deputymom

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm! You say you live in the desert, but have the tan of an eskimo. Are you a member of the Inuit?

Michelle said...

Sounds like you had a good time, glad to hear you were able to get away some.