Friday, February 09, 2007

New days new guns blue haze dead sons x-rays I won't be lonely tonight

This morning I awoke at five o'clock and felt a huge wave of relief when I realized that I had in fact passed my comprehensive exam (contrast that with yesterday when I awoke at the same time and immediately began dry heaving because I was so nervous about taking it). I tried to go back to sleep but couldn't.*

As I was lying there staring at the ceiling, I remembered that I still hadn't told some of my friends the good news. I sent a text message to my friend that recently moved to Boston in order to let him know (after all, he's the only one who would have been awake at that time because of the time difference).

His response: Congrats! Did u just get in from a wild night of hookers & coke?

I wish!

The truth is, I didn't do anything to celebrate. Nothing at all. In fact, I went back to work almost immediately. I'd arranged for a friend of mine to cover my labs in case things went badly again, but since they didn't, and since I was done plenty of time before my class began, I told her not to worry about it. That may have been a mistake, because I was completely spent by the time I got home, but I've become such a loser that I really didn't have any desire to go out anyway.

I'm not quite sure when it happened, but I now realize that I'm a workaholic. I've been awake for nearly three hours, and I feel like I need to go do something productive. I'm not going to. I'm not doing anything work related until Monday. I promised myself that. Now I just need to go find something to do in the meantime. For starters I think I'll go catch a matinee.




* I knew I should have taken some muscle relaxers before going to bed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should come out tonight.
AP

Anonymous said...

You should totally go wash your car if you have spare time.
Then relax and watch movies all day and do absolutely nothing.

Michelle said...

Quit being such an asshat and just go do something...like fun something that involves liquor and friends....don't you have any friends that will get you drunk and let the women feel you up?

Ryan said...

I wouldn't bother washing the car.... just watch movies. Washing the car is too close to having a life.

Thank you for explaining comps. I feel enlightened. I can sort of understand what it is... I have client meetings wherein 20+ people take turns beating me into the ground with words.... Oh how I look forward to those special days.

Anonymous said...

You should go to an Asian massage parlor for a rub-and-tug.

Lauren said...

HAHAHAHAHA

"rub-and-tug"

That's a new one. I like it.