Tuesday, March 20, 2007

You're back in your old neighborhood cigarettes taste so good

I'm back, did you miss me? Shut up, you did so.

My trip was nice. I was able to con my brother into joining me, so that made it even better than if I'd gone alone. That said, what was quite possibly the highlight of the trip happened before I even got to his house when I came across a burning semi on the freeway. The trailer was full of sheep, and emergency personnel were doing their best to evacuate the trailer, but there was still at least one that had caught fire. I can assure you that you simply haven't lived until you've seen a charred sheep standing on the freeway, staring at the flames that had so recently ignited its wool. In fact, I was so busy looking at the charred sheep that I nearly ran over the off duty police officer that was directing traffic. It's probably a good thing I eventually saw him.

I spent the first night at my brother's house, and we left early the next morning to drive the rest of the way. When we finally arrived I realized that even though neither I nor my family has lived in the area for ten years, I always feel as if I've returned home when I see this view:



We fished the Green River for the rest of that afternoon and the following day. The fishing was slow but I was able to catch a few. I was hoping to have one of those 50 fish days that people often have on that river, but it was still fun to get out there. At least for me. My brother would probably tell you something different. It was one of the few times that I've actually caught more fish than him. In this case, it was quite a few more.

Here's a picture of him getting skunked:



And another:



The original plan was to fish the Green River for two days and then go back to Salt Lake City so I could spend two days with my kids. However, my ex-wife called to tell me that the kids were grounded because of their grades and that she was making them do homework all day Saturday. Plus, Shooting Star and her sisters were visiting the area, and they convinced us to stay an extra day and float the river with them.

Not all the pictures I took turned out good, but you can see why this is one of my favorite places in the world.





I did spend Saturday night and all day Sunday with my kids, so I'm not as horrible a father as I could be. I also spent some time hanging out with Flieswithoutwings and some other old friends. I didn't want to come back.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda felt bad laughing at the burning sheep bit. Hilarious. Remember when we were fly-fishing for white fish in Idaho and I broke your rod? Hahaha...I said I broke your rod.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you loved seeing that charred sheep, didn't you, you animal hater?!
AP

flieswithoutwings said...

Did the sheep have a "lambchop" kind of smell? Or was it more like a burning sweater smell?

Anonymous said...

Flies Without Wings is hilarious.

Who else would even think about that? :)

I'm glad you had fun. I'm jealous that you got to see Shooting Star, I really wanted to make it up there. Such is life...

PsychDoctor said...

It was fun, except for the getting skunked part...

Inklings said...

Gorgeous pictures of Flaming Gorge. Makes me homesick for there.

Ryan said...

No one listened to me before..... but hopefully everyone can see why I don't think sheep should be allowed to have matches.

You took some awesome pics. Looks like it was fun.

Anonymous said...

Your pics are spectacular!

So nice to get away, isn't it. Glad you had such a good time.

deputymomof6 said...

Maybe next time you two will either (1) remember to take sunscreen or (2) opt for the $8 small bottle of sunscreen rather than opt for the painful sunburn and future sun cancer!! Glad you two had fun!!