Saturday, May 05, 2007

The whole wide world is at it again showing me how it feels good to bleed

A week or so ago I was with a friend while she was trying to find a birthday card to send her father. I did some other shopping (mostly for candy) while she was looking at cards, and then joined her at the card rack. Standing there, I saw a section that I hadn't ever noticed before. A section labeled Goodbye Cards. I picked one up, read it, and started smiling.

Her: What are you smiling at?
Me: Oh nothing. This card just made me think of something.
Her: What?
Me: I shouldn't say.
Her: Well you can't do that. Now that you've brought it up you have to tell me.
Me: Ok, but you asked. I was just thinking that it would be so much worse for someone's loved ones if they wrote their suicide note on a Hallmark card. Talk about adding insult to injury.
Her: That's bad, you shouldn't be thinking about stuff like that.

To be continued . . .

(if I feel like it)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least they'd know you cared to send the very best

Anonymous said...

Morbid as this may be...but my son's step brother didn't write a note, so his family has no idea what he was thinking/feeling.
But I doubt Hallmark will make a new line of "Why I Did It" cards.

steph said...

there really should be a whole host of cards for those situations, like "I don't want to be friends cards," "you're the worst roommate ever, you're evicted cards," break-up cards...I could go on and on.