Monday, July 30, 2007

I was wasting my youth on grinding down my teeth

I've mentioned before that I grew up in small towns, but you don't really get a sense of exactly how small until you see this aerial photograph on a postcard. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Dutch John, UT:

You know the town you live in is small when you can just circle your house on an aerial photograph and expect people to be able to use it as a map. Sure this is a pretty old picture, and there are a few more buildings there now, but you get the point.

(I've circled the house that I lived in for three and a half years. Feel free to visit, but be aware that the family that lives there now might tell you stories about me that aren't necessarily true. Also, they might not be receptive to complete strangers coming up to the door to ask about me. On second thought, don't feel free to visit. If you feel that you must, just drive by and wave).

As you might imagine, when you live in a town that small, sometimes it's hard to find things to do in order to keep yourself entertained. I mean, sure there's world class flyfishing three miles away, rock climbing, mountain biking, hiking, river rafting, along with a 91 mile long reservoir where you can swim, boat, fish, etc., and it's all within ten minutes of your house, but who wants to do that all the time?
(Just like anything else, those things become commonplace and somewhat boring when you can do them anytime. Take living in Vegas for example. Sure, strippers seem like a lot of fun, but when you're seeing them every single day it gets a little old. Then you have to start looking for something else to spice things up - like snorting cocaine off a stripper's breasts. Strippers and coke: Don't try to tell me that's not a winning combination.)

Anyway, in order to ease the boredom of living in DJ, sometimes I would end up doing stupid things. Like the time when I knocked up my girlfriend and got married. Or the time when I did this:

My mom HATES that picture. The reason? I'm hanging off the edge of Flaming Gorge Dam. She's such a Quaker. But seriously, this is something that could have resulted in me being the recipient of my very own Darwin Award. Let me show you a different angle:

Sure there was a rock ledge about twenty feet below us, but if for some reason I would have slipped, and then missed the ledge, it would have only been about a 500 foot fall. Maybe you'll believe me now when I say it's a miracle that I survived to adulthood.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should've posted that picture of FLY on the ice with the man holding him like hangman.
That is a very cool picture.

Native Minnow said...

Unfortunately, I don't think I have that picture anywhere.

AnoMALIE said...

For some reason... I really laughed when I saw where you were hanging from...
What a way to make me forget I'm in a shoddy internet-cafe in the middle of nowhere.

Anonymous said...

AWesome pics...PI

Delirious said...

Okay, now I see where my oldest son got the genes that had him walking out on a window ledge 23 stories high, or walking out on a frozen canal to inspect something, only to fall through the ice...or...oops..sorry, don't have room to list the bazillion things.

Inklings said...

I'm such a QUAKER?????????????

Anonymous said...

My first thought when I saw the aerial photo is 'the town is built in a crator?'.

Anonymous said...

That photo of Dutch John looks like a bird's head. And wasn't their a scene in Van Damme's Universal Soldier where they slide down the face of the damn? Can't remember. Cool pics.

Native Minnow said...

It does look like a bird's head. I never noticed that before. But I assure you, there is nothing bird's head-sey about the town at all.

(Yeah, I don't know what that meant either)

I believe that was Universal Soldier, although I thought they rappelled down the face of the dam. Face first of course.