Friday, July 13, 2007

Mr. Horrible

One of my students emailed me the other day to find out if/when she could pick up her final exam. In her email she also let me know that someone from this last session had posted a bad review of me on ratemyprofessors.com. Of course, I had to go read it (I usually check in at the end of a semester anyway, just to see what the kids have to say). She was right. This person wasn't very happy.

"Well, I took his summer [introductory biology course] and I don't know if I learned enough. This teacher isn't that good and he picks favors. Also he will give answers for the exam for some people he likes ( I mean he cheats to favor the people he likes). Avoid him. He is terrible. I got an A in his class, but the teacher sucks. He should be teaching high school kids."

I'm not exactly sure where the accusation of cheating "to favor the people I like" comes from. Maybe they meant to say that, when I can, I clarify exam questions for those who raise their hand with questions during a test. Or maybe they mean that I tell the people who actually attend lecture some things that are guaranteed to be on the exam, especially when it's something that's not in the text, just to make sure that they write it down and study it.

This was the first negative review of me that someone's posted on that site (there was one other, but that was posted by my roommate's son, so it doesn't count), but apparently this student wasn't the only one who felt this way, because someone else posted this comment later:

"AVOID THIS TEACHER. He cannot teach, his tests are hard and he picks favor. He thinks that he is the super hot guy, but I heard he got 5 kids. He is ugly and I don't think he is hot. I didn't learn anything from him. Horrible. AVOID HIM"

Oh yeah, my tests are hard. Hard enough to make people cry, haven't you heard? Nevermind the fact that the averages are usually exactly where they should be (if not higher than they should be), and that someone nearly always was able to score 100%. My favorite part is the middle though. Here, read it again:

"He thinks that he is the super hot guy, but I heard he got 5 kids. He is ugly and I don't think he is hot."

Hilarious! I don't think I'm "the super hot guy," because if I were, it stands to reason that I'd be getting a lot of ladies, right? Since that doesn't happen, I'm forced to face the cold reality that I am not "the super hot guy." However, even if I did think that, wouldn't the fact that I "got 5 kids" help prove it? After all, that would mean someone slept with me at least 5 times (well, maybe less than that if there were twins, triplets or quintuplets involved).

I also love how the second person just echoed the first person's sentiments, which really comes across as if they're saying, "Hi, I'm incapable of an original thought, so I'm just going to repeat what someone else has already said, complete with misspellings and poor grammar, and then add a personal attack because I'm mad that I got a bad* grade."




* Just making an assumption here since by this person's own admission, they didn't learn anything from me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious.
Do you really got five kids?

Anonymous said...

what exactly is "picking favors"?

Party favors? Wedding favors? Are you throwing little bags of hershey kisses or tin hats at your students?

...now I've read/written the word favor too many times, its started to lose meaning for me...

AnoMALIE said...

Wow... what a douche.

If I had to guess... it must be a chick. Who says someone "thinks that he is the super hot guy" and then takes issue with the number of kids someone has?

Poor niƱa. L-L-L-L-L-L-Loo-ooo-zer! (sung in the way 50 cent says "G-G-G-G-G-G- G Unit!")

Anonymous said...

Face it man. You know your not so hot. Your always picking the favor of the month. You cant know how to teach when you think your so hot that you only give answers to the good looking girls and not to my fat ass. I cry a lot after class because you pay no attencion to me because I dont have the nice boobs.

Native Minnow said...

Ver Girl, I was wondering the same thing. I mean, I've picked boogers, I've picked scabs, and I've even picked wedgies, but I don't believe I've ever picked a favor.

Imahotgrl2, get a boob job, then you'll get some "attencion."

Native Minnow said...

(and I really hope that imahotgrl2 is who I think it is)

Anonymous said...

I think it's the same person that has posted twice...four days apart.
To me the grammar/tone looked the same.
I thought it was a guy, though.
I didn't think chicks were that stupid.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you pick "favorites" and the person didn't know that is how you say it...

Anonymous said...

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this is from one of your buddies, or even your roommate's son again. :) I doubt a student would be so lame, but then again, i have had some pretty lame students...PI

Anonymous said...

But HOW do they get into college and get that far in life and have grammar like, "I heard he got five kids" ???
??
???
???
???

Native Minnow said...

PI, of course that's what they meant. That's why it's funny.

Also, a friend of mine sent me the following text message, so I thought I'd share:

imahotgrl2 wants a mouthful of your balls