Thursday, September 06, 2007

I scrambled for the television desperate for its light

I'm a morning person. I think. I'm not super bright eyed and bushy tailed when I get up in the morning, but I do wake up early, and I get going as soon as my eyes open. It's a rare day that I'm not in the office by 8:00 a.m.

A couple of weeks ago I realized that this is a good thing. The reason? There's nothing to watch on television during the day. The day I realized this was one of the rare days where I wasn't in any hurry to leave the house. I turned the TV on and began flipping through channels, eventually settling on M*A*S*H. I'd already seen the episode that was airing. In fact, I'd seen it multiple times as a kid, but I still watched it again. As I sat there wasting my morning, I began to think. No, not about why I was wasting my time watching a television program that I'd already seen multiple times. That would require too much introspection, and could possibly result in me changing my ways. We can't be having that now, can we? Instead, I was thinking about why M*A*S*H would still be in syndication. The show's been on the air for several decades now, and I'm guessing that most of the people who would watch it have already seen every episode. It's not like there are a bunch of attractive characters to keep us coming back. It's not particularly funny. I mean, the jokes are ok, but rarely make me laugh outright. I concluded that the only possible reason that M*A*S*H would still be getting good enough ratings to remain on the air is because of people like me who'll tune in simply because there's nothing else on, and we have to watch something.

If I'm right, that's a pretty sad statement.

7 comments:

Delirious said...

Yea, but I draw the line at Dukes of Hazzard.

Anonymous said...

i think its all the baby boomer women tuning in, recalling the crushes they had on Alan Alda back in the day....

(says the girl who always had a little thing for BJ Honeycutt)

Anonymous said...

favorite mash character: henry blake. second fave: "trapper" john francis xavier mcintyre. bj and "hawk", don't think so!

Anonymous said...

I love MASH! Don't be knocking the MASH now.

The reason I watch it (when nothing else is on), it brings back good memories of when I was little.

Anonymous said...

I like MASH because I liked how they treated the enemy when they were hurt...
And because the DRs were hot.

Ryan said...

If afraid if I said I never had a TV and just recently watched my first episode of MASH last year, someone might think I was strange

So, no comment.

Amber said...

My grandma watches mash every night at 10 pm before bed, she has for years and years and I have a friend Jeremiah who's dad watches every night too - maybe it's just one of those self-comforting tv shows, it's been around so long like a security blanket.