Monday, September 24, 2007

I know it's hard sometimes for you to tell where you end and where the world begins

Yes, I'm still alive. I've just been too busy being without internet access for the past four days to have posted anything. But, it was having no internet access in a good way, meaning that I was in the mountains, in an awesome cabin, with a big group of friends. Oh, and I bought a mountain bike.

For the past three years, a friend that I don't see very often has organized a "mountain biking" weekend at Brian Head, a ski resort town in southern Utah. I haven't owned a mountain bike for several years, so the first year we did this I just went for the fun of being away from it all, but one of my friends crashed and hurt his knee, so I was able to use his bike the following day. The second year another of my friends was going, but was facing a highly stressful event otherwise known as his comprehensive exam, so he basically studied the entire weekend (just in a different environment). Since he wasn't going to be able to ride at all, he let me use his bike in exchange for storing it for him for a couple of months while he was in the process of moving. This year, I didn't have any such options, so I decided I'd rent one, or maybe buy one if I could find something I liked for a good price. As luck would have it, the bike shop just down the street from our cabin had a Trek 4500 (a decent starter bike) for sale for $285, and it was the right size. It sounds like a lot of money, sure, but it was marked down about $150, and was less than half the price of the bike I'd almost talked myself into buying. Since it rained all day long on the day I bought the bike, I had to wait until yesterday to take it out.

It felt pretty good, except for the four times that I wiped out (three of my crashes sent me flying over the handle bars - stupid tree roots - I really need to get better at this mountain biking thing).

In addition to the mountain biking, I also went to Bryce Canyon and hiked a little. I also drove through Zion National Park and hiked Angel's Landing on the way back to Vegas. It was a good weekend.

I took some more pics, but left my camera at home, so I'll have to update this later to include some of those.

------------------------------------UPDATE------------------------------------
Bryce Canyon:

Me on the new bike:


The trail to Angel's Landing (yes, we walked along that ridge):

The View from Angel's Landing:


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just dropped mine off at Bike King to get it fixed/tuned up. We should go Sat. morn.
AP

Anonymous said...

I'm down.

DC

Native Minnow said...

I just looked it up, and the drop off Angels landing is 1200 ft on one side, and 800 ft on the other. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

wow. After seeing those pictures, I am really depressed to be living in Louisiana ow...

Native Minnow said...

See Ver Girl? Maybe you should have come here after all ;-)

Anonymous said...

Very nice...I love Zion NP...

mindy said...

i absolutely love the Angels Landing hike. I love Zion National Park, generally, too. And you look very cool on your bike. I almost believe that you know what you're doing.