Friday, October 05, 2007

Forever yesterday (breathe slowly and deeply)

I don't know why kids think that they need to spend their time growing up, but no matter how many times I tell my kids to knock it off, they just keep getting older. Yesterday I found out that my daughter has a BOYFRIEND! Dun, dun, dun. Okay, so I've suspected for a while, she is thirteen after all, but she confirmed it yesterday. Apparently she was very afraid* that I'd find out and be mad at her, so she kept it secret for a while, but had "I heart [Kid's Name]" as her myspace profile quote about a week ago. Of course, I didn't know she was on myspace until I saw it about a week ago, so that was a relatively safe place, but it just goes to show that you never really know who's reading.

I talked to a friend about it yesterday afternoon, shortly after I talked to her.

Me: I don't know what to think about the fact that my daughter's got a boyfriend already.
Him: Well, you had to know it was coming sooner or later.
Me: Yeah, but I was hoping for later.
Him: Just think, in another three years or so she'll be . . .
Me: Don't say it!
Him: Don't say what?
Me: I know what you're about to say. Don't say it.
Him: How old was [Ex-Wife] when you got her pregnant? Seventeen?
Me: See, I knew that's what you were going to say.
Him: Well, you could always take her down to Tijuana and get her tubes tied.
Me: Yeah, I'm sure her mom would let me do that.
Him: It'd be easy. Just say, "Kids, get in the car. I'm going to show you Mexico."
Me: They already saw Mexico when their mom remarried.
Him: Oh yeah.
Me: I'll have to sell it as showing them a completely different part of Mexico.
Him: I'll say.
Me: I'd have to be like, "Here boys, take this twenty dollars and go catch a donkey show while I take your sister into this back alley. We'll meet you out front in an hour."
Him: You could get [Next Oldest] a vasectomy while you're there.
Me: Or get one for myself! I've been thinking about it anyway. I mentioned it to my brother, and he said that I should wait because I might get married again and want to have kids. Even if I do remarry, I'm done having kids. I figure if I get snipped now then it's out of the question.
Him: Well, you can always have it reversed.
Me: Yeah, but I wouldn't. I'd just have to make sure that anyone I started dating knew about it up front (no pun intended).
Him: Well, it could even be a selling point. You could say, "No, don't worry baby, you can't get pregnant."





* So afraid that her friend told my ex that she threw up a few times because she was afraid I'd find out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you don't even have a gun!
And you're in Vegas.
You're cool...

Ryan said...

The 'donkey show'....

I thought my friend was joking until he took me.

You better send your son with more than 20 bucks. He will need tip money too.

Our son is 13. I'm not prepared for this.

elbee said...

Awwww, she was scared. I'd be more scared of my mom finding out I was in a relationship; she's scary, man.

flieswithoutwings said...

So the puking is hereditary then. Does she have the traditional Minnow-Family knotted toes?

Dee Ice Hole said...

Puking IS hereditary I guess---they all do that or have major headaches---